SOLVED

Sync Office365 Group members from on prem using Azure AD Connect?

Copper Contributor

Is it possible to sync Office 365 Group members from an on premise group located in AD using Azure AD Connect?

Similar to how you can sync security and distribution groups.

9 Replies

Not sure if this is what you are after but have you checked out Group writeback (Azure Active Directory Premium required):

"If you use the Office 365 Groups feature, then you can have these groups represented in your on-premises Active Directory. This option is only available if you have Exchange present in your on-premises Active Directory." 

Configure Office 365 Groups with on-premises Exchange hybrid

best response confirmed by Edvard wikström (Copper Contributor)
Solution
I think he is asking just the other way around: sync from local AD members to an Office 365 Group. This feature is not provided by Azure AD Connect
Good to know, thanks Juan.

Hi Juan - do you know if you will ever be able to nest Azure AD groups within an 0365 Group? Is it on the roadmap? It seems strange that you can't. Cheers

Dear all, 

as I didn't see any response: did anyone see that on the roadmap for Azure AD Connect? 

Is there any already existing User Voice Request available?

As far as I need it for using Microsoft Teams is to manage members and owners using the on-prem AD; as far as I understand, that is the workflow like this: 

a. create the Office 365 Group (or Team) in Azure AD, setting up basic settings and initial owners/members  

b. sync it down to my customers local AD by using the Group Writeback feature

c. update the members and owner/managed by properties in local AD

d. sync thar changes back to AzureAD, so Office 365 Groups get updated

At this point in time, it looks like the step d. is implemented like "drop the other members from the local group". Did anyone already raise a usevoice request that I may upvote?

Thanks for your response,

Martin 

Dear all, 

as I didn't see any response: did anyone see that on the roadmap for Azure AD Connect? 

Is there any already existing User Voice Request available?

As far as I need it for using Microsoft Teams is to manage members and owners using the on-prem AD; as far as I understand, that is the workflow like this: 

a. create the Office 365 Group (or Team) in Azure AD, setting up basic settings and initial owners/members  

b. sync it down to my customers local AD by using the Group Writeback feature

c. update the members and owner/managed by properties in local AD

d. sync thar changes back to AzureAD, so Office 365 Groups get updated

At this point in time, it looks like the step d. is implemented like "drop the other members from the local group". Did anyone already raise a usevoice request that I may upvote?

Thanks for your response,

Martin 

I'd also like to up-vote this feature request, did anyone locate this on UserVoice?

@Stefan_Davenport Not sure why no one has added the link here but it is up on UserVoice and lagging a fair bit behind.

Add your votes: https://office365.uservoice.com/forums/286611-office-365-groups/suggestions/36200407-group-writeback...

This is still not possible. However, if you add some automation you can achieve it.

This blog post provides a good approach to maintain AD groups, Azure AD and M365 groups synchronized

https://regarding365.com/keeping-you-ad-security-groups-and-office-365-groups-in-sync-with-the-power...

@Edvard wikström 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Edvard wikström (Copper Contributor)
Solution
I think he is asking just the other way around: sync from local AD members to an Office 365 Group. This feature is not provided by Azure AD Connect

View solution in original post