SOLVED

O365 Groups - Modern Team Site Integration

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I read some weeks back about the announcement on integrating O365 groups with team site.

https://blogs.office.com/2016/08/31/new-capabilities-in-sharepoint-online-team-sites-including-integ...

I wanted to ask if in the future it would be possible to decide whether to create a O365 group when one i creating a new team site ?

Thanks -

Girish

12 Replies
best response confirmed by Girish Ganeshan (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Yes, when creating a modern team site you will have the option of creating a Group or not

Thanks Juan,

I have quite a few more questions related to modern team sites. Hope you can help .....

1. So every modern team site is going to be a "site collection" ? coz i read in the blogs that modern team site is going to get 25TB storage, which i also believe is the new storage limit of a site collection ...

2. In the future once every modern team site gets a group and vice versa, how will sharepoint site security be handled ? currently i see that in groups i can only define Owners and members ? SHarePoint provides much more options in terms of custom permissions levels and sharepoint groups.

3. Lastly this question When i go to SharePoint from the O365 app launcher and click on "Create SIte" from the new SharePoint home page, i see that a new "sub site" is created under "yourtenantname.sharepoint.com". Will it be possible to create modern team sites through new SharePoint home page by the way ?

Thanks -

Girish

Hello Girish,
Glad to help :)
(1) Yes, so far the message is that one: a modern team site is a site collection behind the scenes...and No, a modern team site is not goint to get 25 TB of storage...it can store up to 25 TB of information, but you will need to have such storage in your SPO tenant.
(2) This is somethig that to me it's still not clear. IMHO, we still have the option to use some extra SharePoint Groups and permission levels.
(3) This is current behaviour, but this will change when modern team sites arrive to your tenant
Just adding to point # 2 - @Dean Gross mentioned in another post that MSFT SharePoint team is working on many admin level improvements in SPO. So hope to expect some great announcements during Ignite.

When I create a SharePoint team site in O365, I did not get a group created automatically. I tried creating a group through the Admin area and it only created a document library. So I am thinking that this feature is not rolled out yet. When it does roll out, will we be allowed to pick the location (site collection and hierarchy level) where the team site will be created automatically?

It's being rolled out...be patient! In regards of your second question, a modern team site is a site collection behind the scenes so you will always create ander /sites/

Do you know if existing team sites will have either groups automatically created or the option to create and associate a group with them? We have some team sites that, if the new groups were available, we would have created them as the new group but instead went the team site direction due to certain limitations in existing groups. Will I have to create a group and then migrate the data from the libraries over to the new group?

Do you know what version of the Sharepoint/Office 365 tenant contains this release?

All existing Team sites will get Groups automatically created. Team sites will first come to existing Office 365 Groups. This roll out is on process for FR Tenant.

If the o365 groups are allowed to create only to few personnel. In that case wht would be the behaviour? when any user who is not allowed to create groups create modern team site will the O365 groups created?

Any idea when this is supposed to be complete?

Does the Modern Library and Experiences have to be turned on for this to be enabled?

Bump...Bump

Still waiting too. My groups are dying to theses new features...

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Girish Ganeshan (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Yes, when creating a modern team site you will have the option of creating a Group or not

View solution in original post