[New!] Drag and drop conversations into groups

Microsoft

Good news! We're currently rolling out drag and drop for messages and conversations into groups in Outlook on the web first for First Release customers, then Standard release customers.

It's much easier to explain with a GIF:

dnd2.gif

Support for Outlook 2016 for Windows is coming soon--stay tuned.

You can find the documentation here: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/24e809db-70e1-45b7-8d54-efac7951dc95

123 Replies
Wow, that is far too long. This feature is critical for our teams adoption for Office 365.
Same here - it is simply not acceptable to tell users to "Use the web interface". I really do support Microsoft (have for 30+ years) but sometimes I see "New features" appearing in Office and my response is "Stop adding features very few need/want and fix the obvious faults & omissions in the existing code" :( This is the single top wanted feature by my main client.
>promote folders creation option as well,

Do you mean so you can categorise Office 365 groups together? If so then yes, big thumbs up. My main client now has 400+ Office 365 groups and the list is unmanageable. Why so many? Because each project gets it's own group and they work on a lot of projects which sometimes last just six months.

Hi Everyone - we all agree that it sucks that we have to wait so long for this what should be a "basic" feature.

We just want basic drag and drop for now, and if they are developing more wondrous wizardry around this feature then it could wait (Agile, Microsoft.... Agile!)

Anyway... that said, if we have to wait until Q4 2019, can people advise what processes they have put in place to move emails in a user mailbox to an O365 mailbox? Do you encourage drag and drop of 1 email via web client? CC in the Group mailbox? Use 3rd party apps to save the the emails into SharePoint libraries (.....*gulp*)

If anyone has any training or "how to" guides or experience they would like to share, this collateral would be most appreciated.

Cheers!

Hi Joe. The guide I've shared with my team is this one https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Drag-messages-from-your-personal-mailbox-to-the-group-mailb...

I agree, we can't wait until the end of the year to have this resolved. Folders/subfolders, flags, and labels are a must as well.

Also awaiting this to come to Outlook Desktop.  Please advise when this feature will be added?

Hi @Ethan Li, any word on when this feature will finally be complete, and when we can start using it inside of Outlook on the desktop? We also desperately need to be able to move more than 1 conversation at a time.

@Ethan Li 

You say this works for 1 conversation or 100 messages, that does not appear to be the case. It only appears to allow 1 conversation at a time?

@Joe McGiven Corban Thank you for your feedback. My name is Sri and I wanted to provide a quick update on the latest target timeline for shipping Drag and Drop on Outlook for Windows. We are currently internally testing Drag and Drop (on Win32 Outlook client) and are looking to release the feature to monthly/current channel customers by end of Q3, 2019. Other channel updates will follow. We totally understand the frustration caused by the delay and appreciate your patience on this. We will keep you posted on further updates.  

@Sri Ramya Mallipudi Thanks for the feedback Sri. This is the first update we have had in a long time, particularly for such a critical feature. Does this testing include selecting multiple conversations and emails at once when drag/dropping? Moving one at a time is extremely frustrating for our users.

Hi@Scott_Whitmore ,

Yes, the feature includes being able to move multiple emails from inbox to Groups. Hope this helps.

@Sri Ramya Mallipudi I see you are willing to share more details. We are so happy. Is it then also possible to create a subfolder in the inbox and move it there or is it just a long list of emails resp. conversations in the root of the group mailbox ? Thank you very much for answering.

Hi @Tomas Paulas,

Creating a sub-folder within a Group is currently not supported and is a separate feature from "Drag and drop to Groups". Hope this helps. 

@Sri Ramya Mallipudi - Hi Sri, thanks for you message back in April. Do you have any fresh updates for Drag and Drop please.

Are you still looking to release the feature to monthly/current channel customers by end of Q3, 2019? If so, that's great. Any update you can provide on this would be appreciated.

Cheers, Joe

I see this has recently slipped to Q1 CY2020, thats disappointing. I have a bunch of customers I need to migrate from on prem Exchange 2010 to Office 365 and they are heavy public folder users, I was hoping to migrate them to groups. Alas now this feature has slipped I am going to have to weigh up keeping them on public folders which I didn't really want to do.

@Sri Ramya Mallipudi  Has this really slipped all the way into next year?

@Sri Ramya Mallipudi 

For a long time now we are waiting for the possibility to move our e-mails in public folders to Office 365 groups using Outlook 2016. Do you have any idea when this will be made possible in the near future?

And, as far as I know this is still only possible using OWA by a 100 at a time. But even this I haven't been able to accomplish so far. In OWA I am unable to first select an email and then scroll down, and shift-select the 100th email. Maybe that's not the way to do it?

Anyone think this will actually be released in November?

I hope so.... been waiting for aaaaaages.

It says November, but will be for Monthly Channel only I guess..

https://www.microsoft.com/en-nz/microsoft-365/roadmap?rtc=1&filters=&searchterms=Outlook%2Cfor%2CWin...

Ha!  November which year?

Looks like it is delayed to Q2 2020 !!! Insanity

This is just crazy, instead all our team has to have a massive shared mailbox to allow drag and drop into folders.  Surely its not that hard of a request considering its in OWA already..........