Limit the possibility for members to edit Groups website

Copper Contributor

Hi, we just started to use the Groups website which includes about 50 members. Now we already have a problem, as one member has locked the website startpage o I as admin of the group cannot edit it. 

The same thing has happened with one of the "news" we just published. 

I want to restrict the possibility to edit anything on the website page. That option should only be handled by admins of the group. 

Is that possible to do? 

3 Replies

Well, Groups are designed like that, equal access for all. Basically, every member gets Edit permissions based on the membership of the "members of ..." group. You should be able to adjust the permissions manually if you go to the "advanced permissions" page (_layouts/15/user.aspx), but I don't believe that's supported scenario. @Juan Carlos González Martín is the resident SharePoint expert, he can give more info :)

It's even worse for email/calendar as you don't have any options to control permissions.

Totally agree here with Vasil. Of course, you can try to configure security in the site using "Old SharePoint" practices that it's absolutely right...but as Vasil says, Microsoft is really pushing this so simple security model
Thanks for your answer Vasil.. I´ll se what I can do. I do think that some functions should be managed by admins, the "regular" user in my organization does not have a clue about news or the website.. I am happy if they have enough competens to handle documents and OneNote. I thougth that this shouldnt be a problem, why should they mark "edit" on news or the website - but obviosly they do... and one of them is now on a onemonth vacation=S...