SOLVED

Groups: Tenant to tenant migration

Brass Contributor

After a merge we are in the process of moving as much content as possible from one tenant to another.

The process a moving a unified group looks easy.

1. Evaluate which groups should be migrated (and which groups should be abandoned)
  2. Create the corresponding group in the new tenant
  3. Use a migration tool to copy the content between mailboxes
  4. Use a migration tool to copy the SharePoint content between tenants.

There are a few things that are not so easy however:

Planner migration (which I suspect will be a manual process)

Connector migration which will absolutely be a manual process

I'm still investigating OneNote migration options.

Any thoughts, tips and pointers will be appriciated.

46 Replies

@Greg Jones when @Tony Redmond was promoting your tool I made sure to say that people should not take my word for it, because I never tested or used your tool. A partner told me in a conversation about this type of migration the information that I conveyed here. He was obviously wrong or outdated, so although I clearly stated that people should test any tool and see the full capacity they have, my apologies. I am not here to promote any tools. When I come here I do it to help the community. Saying that I work for the best tool in the market is my personal opinion, always up for debate, but one that I firmly believe on.

Tony positioned your tool as being the best, otherwise he would have mentioned a different one, I disagreed, and the bottom line is that we both agree on the essential: Test and choose!

Hello.

There is a tool in Admin Panel: Use this option if your environment has at least one Exchange 2010, 2013, and/or 2016 server. 

An once click on it, it says: 

Looks like you have not run the Office 365 Hybrid Configuration Wizard yet.

This application will configure your Tenant and Exchange environments so you can start moving your mailboxes to Exchange Online. Learn More.

Requirements:
-running a Windows operating system
-connected and joined to the same domain as the On-Premises Exchange Server

Could it be the tool  I am searching?

BR.

@Tony Redmond - Any word on the tenant to tenant mailbox moves?

thanks!

@Paul Garlick None. I would use a third-party solution like Quadrotech Cloud Commander.

@All

best way to tenant to Tenant Migration with Veeam Office 365 Tools.

for process of moving as much content as possible from one tenant to new tenant.

The process a copying a emails, one drive, SharePoint team channels, Chats .

1. Evaluate which email ids of domains should be migrated.
  2. Create the corresponding Email ids with different domain in the new tenant and provide password to each users before migration.
  3. Use a Veeam backup for Microsoft Office 365 migration tool to take existing users backup with organization connect.
  4. Use a Veeam Backup tools to take backup and restore, Emails, Calendar, Agenda, contacts, Sharepoint, Microsoft Teams channel, Chats in new tenant.
  5. First time full backup at veeam backup tools take times after run again with incremental backup it will take very less time.
  6. Before migration do backups of all Email ids and Team channels. then restore it on new tenant which is created with same ids from current tenant. start restoring data on the new tenant.
  7. once data restore successfully you need to remove groups and change current email ids to different one on tenant and make it primary that id.
  8. Remove domain from current tenant.
  9. add domain on new tenant and make primary id which created with different domain to migration domain.
  10. once primary id done in new tenant change DNS , MX Entry and use your migrated domains uses in new tenant with all the data.
  11. its done successfully.

Planner migration (which I suspect will be a manual process)

Any thoughts, tips and pointers will be appreciated.

Regards

Paresh

Hi All,

I’m also looking for T2T migrate 200 mailboxes.

Can someone share the trail licenses to evaluate?
Quest on demand is very simple and easy to migrate and bittitan required more prep work and complicated