SOLVED

Files Open with Explorer

Brass Contributor

Has the "Open with Explorer" feature ever been discussed as it relates to the Groups files?  That functionality has been very useful on a few occasions when migrating data from one library to another in SharePoint.

12 Replies
It's my understanding that Open in Explorer is on its way out. I forget the limitations that were listed. Anyone care to comment?
best response confirmed by Cameron Gocke (Brass Contributor)
Solution

It is still available when documents are opened in Internet Explorer. AFAIK, it workes only in IE as it depends on ActiveX control. 

Open in Internet ExplorerOpen in Internet Explorer

For now open in explorer only works in Internet explorer. it works as @Santhosh Balakrishnan picture so on the right hand side in the new experience. In the classic view it is in the ribbon when you are in internet explorer.

Oh!  I knew it only worked in Internet Explorer, but last time I checked it wasn't there.  (Typically in the legacy Libraries the option was grayed out when in another browser.  When I checked this time I was in Edge and still didn't even see the menu option, so I presumed it did not exist.

That is great knews!  The more the gaps close between the capabilities of the Groups Files and the SP Libraries the better.  My hope is to move all our teams over to Groups.

We started seeing the "View in File Explorer" option in our tenant today (not first release tenant).

I prefer to use File Explorer over the NGSC

I don't use the next generation sync client or Open in Explorer much at all. I open from the browser if for the first time. After I work with a document, I use the Most Recently Used list within the Office application. If it's a doc I'm working on, I pin it. If it's a doc library I frequent, I pin that too. Then the doc or location is available across all my devices.

Hi Darrell,

i am doing the exact same thing. Open via Explorer feels like if the line brakes i am not sure if my document is up to date :)

kr,

Paul

Our users like to open in explorer, then add this location to favourites, the trouble is if they are in many groups they have a long list. Is it possible to have an explorer view of the lever above, that would list all the top level group folders below and allow navigation from there ?

How do you pin a library?

Hi James. 

I put together the following video to illustrate. I pin document libraries often, because I belong to a few Team Sites, Outlook Groups and Microsoft Teams. Once I have opened or worked on a document from a document library, I'll pin it for easy access later. 

Our users are very interested in pinning SharePoint document library locations within File Explorer.  They may need to combine documents using a PDF writer, for example, that does not support SharePoint sites like Office does.  However, pinned sites in File Explorer tend to "unauthenticate" after around 8 hours.  Do you have any ideas on how to get around this limitation?

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Cameron Gocke (Brass Contributor)
Solution

It is still available when documents are opened in Internet Explorer. AFAIK, it workes only in IE as it depends on ActiveX control. 

Open in Internet ExplorerOpen in Internet Explorer

View solution in original post