Convert O356 Group to personal mailbox

Copper Contributor

Im trying to convert a O365 group to a personal mailbox. 

I'll do it manually, because I know that there is no way to do this in Exchange Center.

My O365 group is client1@mydomain.com. I already created a personal mailbox named client1-mail@mydomain.com

So this is my plan:

1. Migrate all the mails from the group to the personal mailbox
  2. Change group mailbox alias to client1-old@mydomain.com 
  3. Change personal mailbox alias to client1@mydomain.com

Do you think this is possible? is the best approach?

and finally, is there a way to send all the O365 old mails to the personal mailbox?

Thank you in advance and sorry about my english.

4 Replies
Unfortunately there is not a "supported" way to do this so you will have to go ahead with your approach (I recommend you to test it first carefully to validate the procedure)...there was a similar discussion a while ago here with similar conclusions: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Office-365-Groups/Convert-O365-Group-to-Shared-MB/m-p/180520

You will have to export the old messages manually, which is also a bit tricky for Groups as you cannot use the export functionality in Outlook. You either have to use some EWS-based tool or do an eDiscovery against the group, export the results to PST and import them to the new mailbox. Still a better approach than copying them all manually via OWA/Outlook :)

Thank you for your comment @Vasil Michev .

I was thinking in the next workaround: 

1. Add client1-mail@mydomain.com (personal mailbox) as member of group client1. So I can see the historical conversation of group.
  2. Change client1@mydomain.com (group) alias to client1-old@mydomain.com
  3. Change domain of client1-mail@mydomain.com (personal) to client1@mydomain.com
  4. Remove all members of the group except by client1@mydomain.com

That's effectively just changing the group's email address. But if it suits your needs, go for it :)