need to turn off time line on 365 Outlook Calendar

Copper Contributor

Today for no reason I started seeing a line that runs from the left of my Work Week Calendar to the Current Day of the week. This line moves down with the time of day. It is very hard to see items on my calendar when ever it crosses in the middle of an appointment. Need to turn this off. Once again it just showed up in the middle of the day today. I have attached a screen shot showing what I mean with an arrow point to the line

22 Replies

@hbinger1 

That is the new current time and day indicator that replaces the old method. Just like the old implementation, there is no way to turn this off.

As it serves a useful purpose as well and it might only be an issue when you are looking at a past item at a very specific time, a quick workaround would be to hover on the affected item so that the details will show in a pop-up.

@Robert Sparnaaij  I don't know if you work for Microsoft - as a suggestion it would be more useful to show the current time line on Today -rather than project it backwards with the only indicator for Today being a half circle on the LH margin??

@Offthewheel 

more useful to show the current time line on Today

No it wouldn't. Then the line would obscure the current appointment.

This new feature is definitely very painful. The design is not really good and I can't see any added value. It's really a bad design not sure why Microsoft is introducing such poor features @hbinger1 

Agreed. I preferred the line running across the day. Rather give the user the option to view this time line in the format he/she chooses.

Not sure what "useful purpose" this gives but I do agree with the others, it's annoying and end users should have the option between obscuring appointments and seeing what time it is.

I logged after the weekend to find my Outlook had been upgraded, and I can't figure out how this made it through any quality control, the Blue Horizontal Time Bar you could easily decipher at a glance what meetings were coming up and there was no guess work. I usually have multiple meetings in the same Time Slot so the horizontal line helped greatly. This black half moon is worthless, it has no accuracy and provides no Visual benefit. An option to enable one or the other would of been better.

Agree this time indicator line amounts to nothing more than a confusing visual distraction. The line draws the eye more to the past than the present. There really isn't a logical connection between events at 2:30 on Monday and Tuesday with a 2:30 meeting on Wednesday , so why force the eye to traverse the line thru Monday and Tuesday to get to Wednesday? This is distracting and makes no sense. I've waited months to make this remark hoping I could just finally ignore the time indicator line, but I can't. It's sitting right there sucking up visual focus like a fly on the screen. Even when I switch to show just Today, there's the black half dot, the darkest, most punctuated thing on the screen and it's obscuring the availability indicator too. It needs to leave.

A big +1 from me. As others have also stated this new "time indicator" format is quite misleading. The "current time" indicator line should only be on the current day in week view.
+1 for me, too. The time line is confusing - it draws your attention to the previous day rather than the current day. Even if there were users who found the line useful, I don't see why there isn't an option to turn it off.

100% agree with complaints about this new line showing time that covers the previous days of the week. And the black circle at the end of the line, but to the left of today's column, draws your attention to the previous day. Visually distracting. Unhelpful. Makes me look at previous day. Awful.

I have to force myself visually to look past it to today's column. 

I suggest a simple black line, only on the currect day, and if they want to put black dots on it, then put them either side of the line on today's date.

+1 to those suggesting to have the time only over the current day

It is very misleading to have the line over past day. Have two meetings missed at the point due to the confusion.

@novoselov 

If you change the view to schedule view then it shows on the current day and time. Not sure I like the schedule view as I am used to the other, but the time line is now displayed correctly on current day/ time. 

The time bar indicator is terrible design. Rather than helping me stay centered on my day and tasks, it creates a little disconnect (a little hurdle to get over) every time I go to my calendar. Add up all of the times I look at my calendar in a day/week/month/year...and that's a significant distraction. 

Do the right thing Microsoft and give users the ability to turn it off. It's worse than not helping, it's creating problems. 

I would like to se the calendar without the timeline and just as out of office and previous days a greyed out background following the time of the day indicating the time.

Then you wouldn't cover the appointment's with the timeline, on the same time as its clear what time it is and what's the upcoming appointment.

You could even have the timeline on the day and just put it under the appointments if there was a little gap on the sides of the appointments so the timeline is not covered completely.

I don't know how many times I've looked on the previous day and missed an appointment whit the current layout, its very confusing to have the timeline on the previous day.

/Michael

This new feature is so annoying. I searched Outlook help an even the registry for "time bar" or "timebar" and I can't find how to disable it. I have dyslexia and it's hard enough reading the calendar view as is. I don't need text near the things I'm trying to read obfuscated by a black bar and large black circle.

Please give us an option to disable this invasive feature.

@hbinger1 I am having the same issue of the time of day line, marking through entries on my calendar.

I have never understood the microsoft (Our way or the high way)  approach, where they just change something because they can, giving users no options to use what the user would prefer.

If you work for Microsoft, please recommend removal of this terribly poor design feature. I've missed meetings because it draws my eye to the day prior, not the current day. It is an unnecessary, unhelpful distraction.