SOLVED

Accept & Do Not Send a Response

Microsoft

Hi Calendar Community,

We'd like your feedback & reactions to a change we're considering:

Current experience:

When attendees receive a meeting invite, they are provided with 3 response options:Responses requested.png

The first two options (Edit the response before sending & Send the response now) both send an email to the organizer, and the attendee's response is recorded in the organizer's tracking list.

The third option (Do not send a response) does not notify organizer, so the attendee's response remains as "None" in the organizer's tracking list.

What we'd like to change:

Many users report that they expect Do not send a response to be recorded in the organizer's tracking list, but just not to send an email. We are considering updating the behavior so that all 3 response options are recorded in the organizer's tracking list. Attendees can still use the Do not send a response option to avoid sending email to the organizer, but their response would now be recorded & shared with organizer.

Questions to the Community:

1. Do you like this change? Does this match what you & others are expecting?
  2. What about when an organizer does not request responses (so there is just a simple Accept button without additional options)? Do you think the intention is to avoid email responses? In other words, would you expect this same behavior (responses are always recorded) to apply even when organizer does not request responses? 
299 Replies

@Julia Foran I was today years old when I learned that the user was not able to see the acceptance in the tracking section. Do we have an update on when this might be rolled out for windows? 

@dcaudill77 Yes, we are very excited to fix this for users.

The calendar improvements in Outlook for Windows (where we are completely updating the client to use our modern REST APIs) are going to be released initially as an opt-in experience. In the first release, you'll only be able to opt-in shared calendars. A subsequent, later release will allow users to opt-in their own calendars.

We're rolling out a few more fixes right now, and once those are fully released, I'll post instructions for how to opt-in. After you enable this preview, if you choose "Accept & do not send a response" from a shared calendar, it will update the organizer.

@Julia Foran WOW you have got to be kidding me, we have waited this long and users have to opt-in :facepalm: That is the stupidest decision, to a design flaw, I have heard in my whole career. I haven't seen one comment to say it is currently working how they expected it to work so why would you get people to opt-in, please explain your thought rationale?

@Julia Foran 

haha! one day I shall wake up and Britain wont have left the EU, Donald Trump wont have been President, C-19 didnt exist and Microsoft will have fixed this stupidly long over due calendar issue in a way that is helpful to a billion clients. 

@Lucien Riviere that is the best reply and sums it up perfectly. Don't know why they are dragging their feet and will now make people opt-in to something that is not working how EVERYONE expects!

Hi, I posted one issue related with Meeting response update but didt get any response yet. i checked your post, looks like same issue discussed what i am facing now with one of our user. can you please help
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/outlook/meeting-response-update-issue/m-p/1480178

I like what you are proposing.  Actually, I thought that was how it worked and was shocked to learn it didn't.  This would be a positive change from my perspective because we all get so much email.  As a meeting organizer, I don't need to get a bunch of emails that everyone accepted.  I just need to know they accepted or not from the meeting details.  Thanks for asking! @Julia Foran 

@Julia Foran Yes please. We have been struggling with this for years now. Microsoft, please provide a fix soon.

Regards.

@Julia Foran please tell me you are close to rolling this out and businesses DO NOT have to opt in??? An update even once a month would be great!!

@Michael Barr 

could you help how to disable "Do Not Send a reply" option through GPO?

Regards,

PK.

@Praveen Kumar ,

Use GPO or any other method you have to push the following registry setting:

HiveHKEY_CURRENT_USER
Key pathSoftware\Policies\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Options\Calendar
Value nameForceMtgResponse
Value typeREG_DWORD
Value data0x1 (1)
Thanks for details.

Thanks for details.

Yes and yes.
I was just in a corporate training where they told us to never use 'Do not send a response' because of the issue it creates for the organizer.
It's the first time I became aware of how it actually works.
And now I realize why it is that people so often mysteriously show up to my meetings without seeming to have accepted the invite.
We all thought we were being polite!

@FG_TFS   Exactly... you might be interested in this article explaining it a little more. Might be helpful for someone... https://www.lingfordconsulting.com.au/ms-outlook/accepting-outlook-meeting-correctly

@Julia Foran Thanks Julia!  This is great news.  Looking forward to opting in on this feature.

what is the great news, I can't seem to find when the change to this functionality will be implemented.

@3js4me I'm sure Microsoft has bigger fires to put out.  This is a minor improvement in my opinion that doesn't impede the performance or functionality of the application.  So they can take as long as they want to do this minor upgrade right without breaking something else.  The good news is that it's on their radar and progressing forward.  For now users can be informed with how this option is designed to work.  Not a big deal.

@Julia Foran 

1) Big Yes

2) Yes to capture response in tracker even when a response is not solicited. The primary reason for not soliciting response is the email notification.

@Julia Foran it's been 6 months since the last update, surely you have more news and it is close to being released? I would expect monthly updates at the very least as this is affecting thousands or more people.