WiX Toolset support

Iron Contributor

Do you plan to contribute to the WiX Toolset project so we can generate MSIX packages from our existing WiX projects?

8 Replies
We are working along partners that contribute to WiX
I guess firegiant does support msix as per msbuild.

We (FireGiant) are updating our AppX Extension for the WiX Toolset at this very moment to support MSIX.

Rob Mensching | CEO | FireGiant

@Rob Mensching wrote:

We (FireGiant) are updating our AppX Extension for the WiX Toolset at this very moment to support MSIX.

Hi Rob, do you have a schedule?

Thanks,

Sascha

We have an internal build working now. If you are a FireGiant customer contact support and they should be able to get you access to an early build.

Otherwise, we're kinda' waiting to see when Windows fixes the double-click issue we reported here. Given the presentations at Build where MSIX works seamlessly, we think there might be a lot of confusion for our Trial users if an MSIX built by our tools was not immediately double-clickable.

According to this reply, insider build 17704 should have the ability to double-click install an MSIX package.

If this is true, when can we expect MSIX support in the public trial version of the WiX expansion pack?

@Rob Mensching wrote:

Otherwise, we're kinda' waiting to see when Windows fixes the double-click issue

I just installed the lastest Windows 10 insider build (17704) and did a quick test by creating an empty .msix file in lieu of a real one. Double-clicking on that .msix file brings up the message "The app package cannot be opened", so the file type actually is registered now (which is also confirmed by looking it up in the registry under "HKCR\.msix").

Looking forward to see MSIX support in the public trial version of the Firegiant WiX extension.

Thanks for your continued interest in the FireGiant MSIX Extension for the WiX Toolset. I can follow up on this thread when it is publicly available. I expect a public preview will be available quite soon.