SOLVED

Windows Desktop (App) Runtime with latest MSIX Packaging Tool

Brass Contributor

I've noticed with the latest v1.2023.1212.0 release of the MSIX Packaging Tool, that several applications are now presenting the dependency for Microsoft.Windows.AppRuntime.1.4 where the same application version would not have presented this in the manifest in the earlier version of the tool.

There is no mention of this in the release notes, as a consideration, and thought this would normally be added automatically if the packaged application indicated this requirement in their own release notes.

The application works as expected without the runtime installed on the device, if this omitted from the manifest manually using the Package Editor.

Any thoughts / justification / considerations to excluding this?

3 Replies
best response confirmed by TIMOTHY MANGAN (MVP)
Solution

Hi @GrahamGB 

As mentioned in MSIX February Blogpost, if the tool detects that the package has a desktop shortcut present, it automatically adds the Windows App SDK dependency in the package, along with the desktop7:Shortcut extensions in that manifest.

Can you please check if the packages in question have existing desktop shortcuts?

-Fiza,
PM, MSIX

@fizaazmi Will do.  I guess that makes sense.  I normally remove those during install of the app, but maybe not others.

Thanks for the clarification @fizaazmi, quite often I would remove the desktop shortcuts created by installers before completing the capture, however I can understand if these are removed at the package editor stage then this runtime would have been added in. I have submitted a comment on the blogpost, highlighting that the inclusion of the desktop7:shortcut results in the dependency for the runtime being flagged up as well for completeness.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by TIMOTHY MANGAN (MVP)
Solution

Hi @GrahamGB 

As mentioned in MSIX February Blogpost, if the tool detects that the package has a desktop shortcut present, it automatically adds the Windows App SDK dependency in the package, along with the desktop7:Shortcut extensions in that manifest.

Can you please check if the packages in question have existing desktop shortcuts?

-Fiza,
PM, MSIX

View solution in original post