SOLVED

Support for Windows services?

Copper Contributor

Will MSIX support installation of Windows services? We have a scenario in which customers have unattended computers that need to continue working across power failure/restoration, and Windows services provide our best solution.

26 Replies

@JeremyTellier  To simplify the past by ignoring pre-releases mentioned in this thread (where things also work):

• Support for services is included in the 2004 version of the OS (and above). 
  • Support for repackaging with services is in the 2020.603 (and above) Microsoft MSIX Packaging Tool.

There currently is no support for services on 1909 and below versions of Windows 10.  I have not heard Microsoft make any statements about potential back-porting, but I'm guessing that it is not in the plans.

Ok maybe something is missing here, when I try and push up an mxix in Windows Store without a service it works fine, but if I add a Windows Service I get this:

Package acceptance validation error: The package file Ziti Tunneler-x64.msix specifies a headless app. You don't have permission to create a headless app. Please update AppListEntry="none" in the AppxManifest file and also ensure you have the waiver "HeadlessAppBypass" associated to this app.

@JeremyTellier Hopefully it isn't because you are the first to try that....

But I do know that you must set a new "Capabilities" setting in the manifest to be allowed to have the service in the package.  Off-hand I don't remember which one it is, only that one exists.

~Tim

Hi @JeremyTellier 

To offer the best experience for apps via our store we recommend moving from a service to a background task. Your app would need approval to be accepted in the Store with a service, you can find more info on that here - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/packaging/app-capability-declarations#restricted-capabi...

Cheers,

Tanaka

@Tanaka_Jimha - You can monitor and install a Windows Service with a Background Task?

@Tanaka_Jimha - and so our service takes over networking processing like a next generation vpn so it will require a lot more privileged than normal anyway so I would like info on the request process, but the documentation says I just have to state it in the submission, problem is, the submission just errors and doesn't let me submit.

Hi @JeremyTellier,

There is an alternative approval request process noted on the page that you can use (without making the submission). In your case you'd need to state that you're trying to submit a package with a service:

".. you must request approval in advance rather than providing info on the Submission options page. To do so, visit the Windows Developer support page. Select Developer support topic Dashboard issue, Issue Type App submissions, and Subcategory Other. Then describe how you are using the capability and why it is necessary for your product. If you do not provide all the information necessary, your request will be denied. You may also be asked to provide more information. Note that this process typically takes 5 business days or longer, so please submit your request well in advance.

You may also use this method of requesting approval (rather than providing this info during your submission), whether or not you're using a development sandbox, if you prefer to confirm that you are approved to use a restricted capability before you start your submission."

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/packaging/app-capability-declarations#restricted-capabi...

Cheers,

Tanaka