SOLVED

Redirect files to local %localappdata% folder

Iron Contributor

I created a MSIX application without using PSF and using any FRF or so.

Now when the application creates data it is being stored in 

%localappdata%\Packages\Application_GUID\LocalCache\Local\Appl\Folder\SafeLocation

What I want is that the data is stored not inside the application since when the application is updated, all data will be gone :(

For that I want that the MSIX application will store its data in %localappdata%\Appl\Folder\SafeLocation

Is there a way to get this configured that way and how? Using PSF tooling?

4 Replies
best response confirmed by Pollewops (Iron Contributor)
Solution

Since nobody replies and probably have any clue to fix this, I tried myself something. When configuring my path from %localappdata% to %userprofile%, i moved the data content out of the APPDATA folder and then it will be stored locally and not redirected....woohoo an acceptable solution for me.

Hi
My replay somehow didn't show up.
You can choose another solution. You can disable File system virtualization.
Please check this manifest setting
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/uwp/schemas/appxpackage/uapmanifestschema/element-desktop6-filesys...

You now have a couple of other choices:
1) You can choose not use the FileRedirectionFixup, but enable InstalledLocationVirtualization. ILV will solve some file related issues and let you write to the native %localappdata%.
2) You can replace the FileRedirectionFixup with the new MfrFixup, which fixes issues that normally require the FRF but supports the ability to redirect locally to %LocalAppdata%.

There isn't a release of PsfTooling with the MfrFixup yet (probably February), but it is available in the TMEditX released last week.

But glad to see you worked around it.

Hi @TIMOTHY MANGAN thanks 'again' for your answer.

Although I worked around it, I am curious how to configure the package to be able to output the data to the native %localappdata% folder.

1. when I enable ILV in the manifest file, like you describe in your article, then the writing to the %localappdata% will work? Or is ore configuration required?

About your TMEditX: I used that version also and created a package last week. But at the end my generated msix was not working and crashing all the time when created by TMeditX. I hear more people haveing the same experience. Are you aware of that?

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Pollewops (Iron Contributor)
Solution

Since nobody replies and probably have any clue to fix this, I tried myself something. When configuring my path from %localappdata% to %userprofile%, i moved the data content out of the APPDATA folder and then it will be stored locally and not redirected....woohoo an acceptable solution for me.

View solution in original post