PsfLauncher64.exe ~ The system cannot find the file specified

Copper Contributor

Screen Shot 2022-03-31 at 4.35.56 PM.png

Hello All,

We use the Package Support Framework on some our applications shipped with MSIX to run some post installation scripts. 

We have had a few users that have gotten the above error when the application launches after installation. Please excuse the German; it translates to "The system cannot find the specified file".

We are unfortunately unable to reproduce the issue on any of our machines/virtual-machines and haven't been able to figure out what is going on with this small minority of users. 

My only hunch is that there is some incompatibility with their PowerShell versions or system architecture. We have made it clear that our application only runs on x64 architectures, as we have not included the PSF 32-bit executables and libraries along with the MSIX package. 

Is it possible that some people can be running windows on x64, but require 32-bit versions of PSF? If so that is an easy fix but I haven't been able to confirm. 

Any help/information would be much appreciated. If it is not something we can fix on our side of things I would like to at least help these users get the issue resolved through our support process. 

Thanks in advance! 

10 Replies
If you are running a 32 bit system, and the software requires 64 bit the soft wear is no compatible with you system. If you do some research you can find an older version that is compatible with you device.

@Joker2020 

I think you misunderstood the question. I am the developer of the application, that is packaged as MSIX with the Package Support Framework. I have a number of users that cannot launch the application and they are getting the above error and I do not know why.

@nathan-pieces 

You actually have to go into your system hardware to change the writing on your hardware from 32 bit to 64, bit to be able to run the 64 bit programs there is other atrubutes you have to change. But i would not be able to give that information to you properly without seeing whats on your system. 

Hi - Thank you for working with me to help me solve this issue.

As I mentioned, both myself and my users are already operating on 64-bit hardware, which is a required specification in order to run the 64-bit application in question.

In this issue, we have been able to identify the users are running 64-bit architectures, which leads us to think there is something else wrong that we aren't aware of. This is where we are looking for help.

Why might a handful of users be experiencing the issue above related to Package Support Framework not being able to find a specified file even if they are trying to run the 64-bit app on a 64-bit machine?

Your help would be very much appreciated. I'm happy to coordinate a call to discuss in more detail if necessary as well.

Thanks!
You need to provide your key you wrote for your softwear to be able to get it to intiate the instilation or detection of the product for extintions you have added to the version. Also make sure you have the softwear key for there actual system for cross refrance.

@nathan-pieces 

I am aware of an old flaw in the detection logic used by the Psflauncher to determine if powershell is present on the system, and some of the user's systems might be affected. I have fixed that issue in my fork (https://github.com/TimMangan/MSIX-PackageSupportFramework).

Hi @TimMangan  Is this fixed in your latest PSFlauncher version? I tested it with the MS latest version and there still the issue is there. I tested it myself today and found out that the detection of the key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PowerShell\1\Install=1 is not working properly. We have systems without this value and those will get the issue still :(

Yes. You may notice a new version of my fork released today. Tooling using the new version also will be out this week - but this issue should be resolved in current releases anyway.
Ok will test using your fork code released yesterday. Will let you know if it resolved the issue. Strange however that the latest MS code does still have this issue.
Tnx.
Did test. The tmurgent version does work!! Woohoo tnx!
A shame for Microsoft that they not have a working version.