MSIX will not launch run on user login using windows.startupTask in manifest on some devices.

Copper Contributor

Hi all,

We are having a issue with an Application packaged up as MSIX which needs to start on users login.
We have added the lines below into the manifest file.

<Applications>
    <Application Id="ENCORETECHDESKTOPAPPLICATION" Executable="VFS\ProgramFilesX86\Encoretech\Encoretech TIPs\EncoreTech.DesktopApplication.exe" EntryPoint="Windows.FullTrustApplication">
      <Extensions>
        <desktop:Extension Category="windows.startupTask" Executable="VFS\ProgramFilesX86\Encoretech\Encoretech TIPs\EncoreTech.DesktopApplication.exe" EntryPoint="Windows.FullTrustApplication">
          <desktop:StartupTask TaskId="Encoretech TIPs" Enabled="true" DisplayName="Encoretech TIPs" />
        </desktop:Extension>
      </Extensions>
      <uap:VisualElements BackgroundColor="transparent" DisplayName="Encoretech TIPs" Square150x150Logo="Assets\Square150x150Logo.png" Square44x44Logo="Assets\Square44x44Logo.png" Description="Encoretech TIPs">
        <uap:DefaultTile Wide310x150Logo="Assets\Wide310x150Logo.png" Square310x310Logo="Assets\Square310x310Logo.png" Square71x71Logo="Assets\Square71x71Logo.png" />
      </uap:VisualElements>
    </Application>
  </Applications>

This guide was followed:
https://www.advancedinstaller.com/startup-programs-msix.html

The issue i am having is on some devices the application does not start.
On devices that are working it is running at login as expected.

I have noticed that if you go to Settings -> Apps & Features -> Select the Advanced on the Application. The Run at log-in is missing on affected devices. (see screen shots)

These screenshot have been taken from a Desktop and a Laptop so would expect Battery to be missing in my logic!

working.PNGissue.PNG

We are using Windows 10 1903 18362.900
Microsoft.DesktopAppInstaller 1.0.32912.0

The issue is present if deployed via SCCM or manually installed.
We use a global build so differences in devices would be at a minimum like Region settings.

is there any dependencies for this feature to function?

Thanks in advanced for reading this and any help is welcome.

Regards
David

1 Reply