MSIX package not copying data files

Copper Contributor

Hi, We are using the MSIX Packaging tool to package our application(Zoom Player). Our application writes some files to the Program Data folder. In the package we compiled, these files are in the following folder:
\VFS\ProgramFilesX86\Zoom Player\InstallData

Previously when you install the package, the files in the above mentioned path are copied to the following folder:
C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Local\Packages\Inmatrix.ZoomPlayer14_851dp37ntrqft\LocalCache\Local\Zoom Player

It worked fine until now, for the latest version we complied when I try to install the package the data files are not copied. Because of this issue we are unable to release our application as it's not installing/copying the files needed in the data folder.

Can someone please tell what could be the problem?

1 Reply
Has anything changed inside your application related to how these files are handled the first time the application is launched by a new user?

From what I know, the OS never copied files outside of the install location of an MSIX package. The recommended approach was for the application to copy these files and create them into a location where it has permissions to write, as the one you mentioned above.

Maybe up until this version your application was correctly checking if the file are present and copying them, and something changed in between?

For apps that are no longer maintained (but from what you say this doesn't seem to be the case for you) the Package Support Framework can be used to handle this scenario. Here I have written more on this topic:
https://www.advancedinstaller.com/vfs-files-management.html