MSIX package error ms-appinstaller

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I have a problem with MSIX package. I have winform APP (.net framework 4.8) and for deploy I created msix package via Visual Studio 2022 and I have a problem if I want to try install my application on endpoint PC (Windows 10 - updated) via IIS. I have option in webbrowser to GetApp and if I clicked it and want to install it I have an Error - Protocol ms-appinstaller is disabled. And I dont know what I must to do. If I copy msixbundle to this endpoint PC and hit entr I can install my app easily but with appinstaller not!

Can you help me please?

Thank you.

Kroulík Jakub

1 Reply
As discussed in this thread https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/msix/the-ms-appinstaller-protocol-has-been-disabled/m-p/30383... Microsoft disabled this delivery mechanism (the protocol handler on your client) in December of 2021, in essence in the name of security.

Since that time, they introduced a policy that allows you to turn it back on, and that is an option. But there are other options, such as a different distribution method than a web server, or even wrapping the MSIX file in a powershell script (which is probably more of a security hole).

But you can test your package for now by downloading the file from the web server and then manually installing by double-clicking on the msix file.