SOLVED

Modification Package not doing what I want

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I am struggling with a modification package. I created an MSIX for a 18.2 version of an application. That works like a charm. Now I wanted to create a modification package for version 18.3. Basically it is just one exe file with the same name as for 18.2 that gets replaced. I had the expectation that during the modification package creation process there would be a step to record the first run options but there isn't. I run the installer for the 18.3 version and the modification package gets created. I can also install it after the 18.2 is present. But when I launch the shortcut I get the 18.2 started instead of the 18.3. This is not what I want/expected. I also tried with the 18.2 already installed (original installer) and then install the 18.3 but that gives the same result. Anyone excperienced something like? Can't figure out what i am doing wrong here.

21 Replies

Hi Jeff,

Youre explanation is clear. I did some other tests myself that seems to confirm your observation that the GeoPipeline exe is doing something weird.

I made a little script in Winbatch, compiled that in two different versions. The only thing it does is setting a HKCU registrykey. And with upgrading that works fine.

Test1 is without user.dat and test2 with user.dat.

So I think we can now say it works as expected. Thanks a lot for your time in this.

I attached a file with the tests and source code. It is a simple Winbatch script which I changed and than compiled to the test?.exe.

Awesome!  Glad to help and thanks for being so thorough - very helpful.  Good luck with the rest of your development, Robesin.