Launching a binary inside a different package

Copper Contributor

Is it possible to launch a binary (present in a different application) from a full trust application installed via MSIX?

Say I have two applications A and B, such that:

A has two executables e1 (main/entry executable) and e2.

B has two executables e3 (main/entry executable) and e4.

I want to launch e4 from e1. How can this be done?

4 Replies

I'd say the scenario is currently a challenge for MSIX.

Launching ANY executable from outside of the package folder results in the execution running outside of the container environment you are in, which is probably not want you want.  Typically a request like this is looking for a layering/union of the two package environments.

This could probably be achieved if A is created as an Add-on (Modification package in terms of the MSIX packaging tool) of B, where there is only one container environment.

But I'd LOVE to be proved wrong by someone from Microsoft..

@Tim Mangan Anything related to connection groups, run virtual present in msix concepts? Just started with the tool handson :)

Not really (currently).

Connection Group: The closest thing to connection group is a modification package, but there you can only add file/registry items, no new entrypoints.

Run Virtual: Exes outside of a package (currently) never run in a package container. Even when started from an exe inside a container it bounces out.  Until that changes there is no hope for a RunVirtual like solution.

As always thanks for clarifying :)