Installation instructions needed - App Installer on Azure Windows Server 2019 Datacenter OS

Copper Contributor

I created an ".appinstaller" file and package using Visual Studio 2019 Community.  App Installer application is not installed.    Is there Microsoft documentation or other sources with detailed install instructions.  I've tried Microsoft Business Store and read about other install references but no success.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/msix/msix-server-2019

Thanks for help

2 Replies

Hi @ln787

Thank you for reaching out to us with your question. The Windows Server 2019 is released without the Desktop App Installer pre-installed.

The Microsoft Business Store is the recommended approach to retrieving the installation media for the Desktop App Installer.

Step 1: Enable the Shopping experience to "Show offline apps". This is disabled by default.

Roy_MacLachlan_1-1643745480689.png

Step 2: Search for the App Installer in the Microsoft Business Store, select "Offline" from the dropdown menu before selecting the "Manage" button. After that, proceed to download the App Installer and pre-requisites.

Roy_MacLachlan_0-1643745418095.png

Step 3: Install the pre-requisites and App Installer using PowerShell (Add-appxpackage -Path <Path to *.msix>).

Roy_MacLachlan_0-1643745200295.png

Please note, that I choose to use the Add-AppxPackage PowerShell cmdlet. Depending on your requirements you may need to use the Add-AppxProvisionedPackage PowerShell cmdlet.

I hope that this information was helpful.

Hello,
Is this procedure validated by Microsoft for a production environment?