Inspect MSIX Properties via cmd or Powershell

Copper Contributor

Hi,

As the title suggests, I was wondering if it's possible to inspect the properties of MSIX packages without installing them. Being able to do this would assist in automations I'm attempting to build in Azure.

So far I've discovered they can be accessed with the cmdlet 'Expand-AzWvdMsixImage'. This is useful and is being levered at that point in the process. However, earlier on the process before Azure is in play the properties will need to be inspected so various folders and groups can be created or located.

The properties I'm most interested in at the moment are:

Name

PackageFullName

PackageFamilyName

Version

I suspect others may be of interest later. 

1 Reply
You'd need someone to build a tool to extract out the manifest and then those fields. I'm not aware of any that you'd want.

A simpler method to accomplish what you want would be to use a file naming convention such as is adopted by some tools that generate MSIX packages. For example, PackageName_Version_Architecture_Hash.msix would allow you construct all of those fields from the filename. If these are all inhouse apps you have control of that, if from third parties you'd have to determine each and rename the files.