SOLVED

How to collect software inventory with SCCM CB for deployed MSIX apps?

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I want to explore MSIX, the concept is very interesting. So before deploying MSIX using SCCM, I have this question.

Enterprise wise, we want to gather information for the multitude of deployed applications. We used SCCM (Configuration Manager) for Software Inventory. Does anybody know how to retreive applications deployed with MSIX format?

I have also posted this question in the Configuration Manager community AKA SCCM.

Thanks!

4 Replies

@Bigair-MifiHi, you can use the WMI class SMS_G_System_WINDOWS8_APPLICATION to create a query in SCCM.

As an example:

select SMS_R_System.Name, SMS_R_System.Client from SMS_R_System inner join SMS_G_System_WINDOWS8_APPLICATION on SMS_G_System_WINDOWS8_APPLICATION.ResourceID = SMS_R_System.ResourceId where SMS_G_System_WINDOWS8_APPLICATION.ApplicationName = "microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps"

This will show you all the computers with "microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps".

To get all MSIX/Appx apps from the infrastructure, you could use:

select distinct SMS_G_System_WINDOWS8_APPLICATION.ApplicationName, SMS_G_System_WINDOWS8_APPLICATION.FamilyName, SMS_G_System_WINDOWS8_APPLICATION.FullName, SMS_G_System_WINDOWS8_APPLICATION.Publisher, SMS_G_System_WINDOWS8_APPLICATION.Version, SMS_G_System_WINDOWS8_APPLICATION.Architecture from SMS_G_System_WINDOWS8_APPLICATION

Additionally you have a default report called "Installations of specified Windows apps"

If you want to do something in the database, you can use the v_GS_WINDOWS8_APPLICATION view.Capture.PNG

best response confirmed by Bigair-Mifi (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi @Bigair-Mifi

Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager has a pre-built report that is available to you to show information related to msix apps that have been installed on client devices.

Report Name: All Windows Apps

Report Category: Software - Companies and Products

This report will provide you with the ability to filter to your preferred application that you are looking to monitor the deployment of. 

The following screen capture shows the report results when searching for a specific MSIX app:

Roy_MacLachlan_0-1592422601808.png

I hope that you found this information useful. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Thanks,

Roy

Great!

Thank you for your precious help!

@Bigair-Mifi If the interest is MSI versus MSIX+UWP, the install/exe path would tell you.  This would not help MSIX versus UWP, only looking into the AppXManifest file would do that.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Bigair-Mifi (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi @Bigair-Mifi

Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager has a pre-built report that is available to you to show information related to msix apps that have been installed on client devices.

Report Name: All Windows Apps

Report Category: Software - Companies and Products

This report will provide you with the ability to filter to your preferred application that you are looking to monitor the deployment of. 

The following screen capture shows the report results when searching for a specific MSIX app:

Roy_MacLachlan_0-1592422601808.png

I hope that you found this information useful. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Thanks,

Roy

View solution in original post