Tech Community Live: Windows edition
Jun 05 2024, 07:30 AM - 11:30 AM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community

Error while updating certain Application properties while building MSIX from packmsix.exe

Copper Contributor

Hi Team,

 

I am using makemsix version 1.7.97 for packing msix package. I am editing the application details. I am getting the error for below application properties.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/uwp/schemas/appxpackage/uapmanifestschema/element-application

 

uap10:TrustLevel
uap10:RuntimeBehavior
uap10:HostId
uap10:Parameters

 

Tried updating the IgnorableNamespaces for uap10 namespace along with all supported xnamespaces required to AppxManifest before packing it.

Other properties are building fine with desktop4 namespace.

 

Microsoft (R) makemsix version 1.7.97
Copyright (C) 2017 Microsoft. All rights reserved.
Error: 0xc00ce223
LOG:

XML error: c00ce223 on line 0, col 0. Validate failed because the document does not contain exactly one root node.

 

What is the issue . Any suggestions.

4 Replies
The line "XML error: c00ce223 on line 0, col 0. Validate failed because the document does not contain exactly one root node." would seem to indicate an invalid XML file at a high level unrelated to the exact content. Please review the AppXManifest.xml file (or post here for more help).

Hi @TIMOTHY MANGAN please find the manifest xml. I am trying to add Parameters value to manifest and compiling from the packmsix tool. 

Tried multiple other combination for other application properties like RuntimeBehavior and HostId

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<Package IgnorableNamespaces="uap uap2 uap3 uap4 uap6 uap7 mp mobile iot desktop rescap uap10 desktop4" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/appx/manifest/foundation/windows10" xmlns:uap="http://schemas.microsoft.com/appx/manifest/uap/windows10" xmlns:uap2="http://schemas.microsoft.com/appx/manifest/uap/windows10/2" xmlns:uap3="http://schemas.microsoft.com/appx/manifest/uap/windows10/3" xmlns:uap4="http://schemas.microsoft.com/appx/manifest/uap/windows10/4" xmlns:uap6="http://schemas.microsoft.com/appx/manifest/uap/windows10/6" xmlns:uap7="http://schemas.microsoft.com/appx/manifest/uap/windows10/7" xmlns:mp="http://schemas.microsoft.com/appx/2014/phone/manifest" xmlns:mobile="http://schemas.microsoft.com/appx/manifest/mobile/windows10" xmlns:iot="http://schemas.microsoft.com/appx/manifest/iot/windows10" xmlns:desktop="http://schemas.microsoft.com/appx/manifest/desktop/windows10" xmlns:rescap="http://schemas.microsoft.com/appx/manifest/foundation/windows10/restrictedcapabilities" xmlns:uap10="http://schemas.microsoft.com/appx/manifest/uap/windows10/10" xmlns:desktop4="http://schemas.microsoft.com/appx/manifest/desktop/windows10/4">
	<Identity Name="comemu" ProcessorArchitecture="x64" Publisher="CN=comemu" Version="1.0.0.0"/>
	<Properties>
		<DisplayName>comemu</DisplayName>
		<PublisherDisplayName>comemu</PublisherDisplayName>
		<Logo>Assets\StoreLogo.png</Logo>
	</Properties>
	<Resources>
		<Resource Language="en-US"/>
	</Resources>
	<Dependencies>
		<TargetDeviceFamily Name="Windows.Desktop" MinVersion="10.0.16299.0" MaxVersionTested="10.0.17763.0"/>
	</Dependencies>
	<Capabilities>
		<rescap:Capability Name="runFullTrust"/>	
	</Capabilities>
	<Applications>
		<Application Id="ConEmuAAx64" Executable="VFS\ProgramFilesX64\ConEmu\conemu64.exe" EntryPoint="Windows.FullTrustApplication" uap10:Parameters="param1">
			<uap:VisualElements DisplayName="ConEmu (x64)" Description="ConEmu x64 161206.x64" BackgroundColor="transparent" Square150x150Logo="Assets\ConEmuAAx64-MedTile.png" Square44x44Logo="Assets\ConEmuAAx64-AppList.png">
				<uap:DefaultTile ShortName="ConEmu (x64)">
					<uap:ShowNameOnTiles>
						<uap:ShowOn Tile="square150x150Logo"/>
					</uap:ShowNameOnTiles>
				</uap:DefaultTile>
			</uap:VisualElements>
			<Extensions>
				<uap3:Extension Category="windows.appExecutionAlias" Executable="VFS\ProgramFilesX64\ConEmu\conemu64.exe" EntryPoint="Windows.FullTrustApplication">
					<uap3:AppExecutionAlias>
						<desktop:ExecutionAlias Alias="ConEmu64.exe"/>
					</uap3:AppExecutionAlias>
				</uap3:Extension>
			</Extensions>
		</Application>
	</Applications>
	<Extensions/>
</Package>

 

Thanks,
Sangamesh

OK. So the basic form of the XML here seems to be OK and it isn't a bad XML file so the error I pointed out from the log might be misleading.

The version of makeappx you referenced is unfamiliar to me, I normally use one from the Windows SDK or Visual Studio which mark versions as 10.9.xxx. Certainly the UAP10 schema extensions are relatively new and possibly a different makeappx version might help. It is also unclear in the documentation what versions of client side OS would be required to have those extensions. The MaxVersionTested and possibly MinVersion might need to be adjusted in the end, but that would be seen as a runtime issue and not when making the package.

For the record, I commonly package a version of that same application via repackaging with the Microsoft MSIX packaging tool, but did need to add the Package Support Framework and FileRedirectionFixup to get full features. I did not need to add command line parameters for my use (but would have used the PSF launcher for it if I did). The repackaged app seems to work very well.

You will likely need help from someone at Microsoft responsible for Packmsix.

Thanks @TIMOTHY MANGAN . I will try building the package with latest packmsix.exe tool as you suggested since uap10 are latest schema extensions.