SOLVED

Behavior when specified installer returns non-zero exit code

MVP

If I create a package using an installer that does not return 0 on the exit code and specify the installer to be launched automatically, it appears that the Packaging Tool will look at the exit code and pop up an error dialog indicating that installation failed.  (If the installer is not given to the wizard and a custom install method is used the tool doesn't look at the exit code).

The error dialog makes it look like the package is not good and packaging operations should stop.  I found that if the error is ignored the package is just fine.

This dialog should probably look more like a warning, probably indicating the error code returned.  Although I would not be unhappy if it just stopped checking the result code.

Example Installer to reproduce:  UltraEdit x64 exe installer (return code is 5 but package is fine).

Tim

4 Replies
best response confirmed by John Vintzel (Microsoft)
Solution

Hi Tim,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback and example! This is something in our backlog that we are actively looking into for future improvements to the tool.

Best,

Sharla

Program Manager, MSIX

@ShakersMSFT is the issue resolved in 2022 (MSIX packaging tool version - 1.2022.110.0 ? I am still getting the same error...can anyone confirm or its planned for future release?

@TIMOTHY MANGAN 

Having the same with the application RoboDK

The MMPT (at some point) added a feature whereby you can configure alternate allowable error codes. However, even without the configuration, as pointed out in the original post you can avoid this by not specifying an installer in the wizard and just get into monitoring mode, then start your installer manually.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by John Vintzel (Microsoft)
Solution

Hi Tim,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback and example! This is something in our backlog that we are actively looking into for future improvements to the tool.

Best,

Sharla

Program Manager, MSIX

View solution in original post