Auto-Update access denied when launch from desktop icon.

Copper Contributor

Hello Everyone !

I try to develop my application via msix -> Visual studio Windows application packaging project. The first problem that i faced was automatic desktop shortcut. I create it with instruction from this post : https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-dev-appconsult/msix-create-desktop-shortcuts-with-pac...

It's install corectly, but when i upload a update to server it doesnt install it.

When i launch app via default application icon everything is okay.

Errors from events:

AppX Deployment operation failed for package 181b8006-59bd-4eb2-800d-c269b6bbf456_1.0.3.0_x64__tfwnjm6tb2rrt with error 0x80070005. The specific error text for this failure is: Appinstaller operation failed with error code 0x80070005. Detail: Access denied.

Appinstaller operation failed with error code 0x80070005. Detail: Access denied.

Launch app as administrator doesnt help.

Any advice ?

7 Replies

Hi @SebPieniazek,

Thank you for reaching out to us, I am happy to help out. I was unable to view the instructions you followed (linked in your original post) as that post appears to be unavailable. Are you able to comment in this post with the steps you had taken to create the desktop shortcut.

When you refer to the "Default application icon" are you referring to the app launcher (icon) in the start menu that appears after the app has been installed?

Can you please capture the experience using the Microsoft Feedback Hub [Windows Key] + [F] in combination will launch the app. Inside of there is a log and step recorder. This will provide additional information on what is occuring.

Thank you,

Roy

Hi
Thank you for your answer. Something is wrong with previous link, here is new one -> https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-dev-appconsult/msix-create-desktop-shortcuts-with-pac....

I also try to use AdvanceInstaller program -> https://www.advancedinstaller.com

Same error occurs.

I can see that both of them use PSF to create dekstop icon. They probably dont reffer to app launcher from start menu.

What is the future of msix dekstop icon ? Are you thinking of implementing it as a default ?

Hi @SebPieniazek,

Can you provide some additional details around the following question:

- When you refer to the "Default application icon" are you referring to the app launcher (icon) in the start menu, or on the desktop?

- How have you configured your automatic updates? Are you using an AppInstaller file? Was it embedded in your application? The target path to the new update, is it accessible from your machine?

Can you please capture the experience using the Microsoft Feedback Hub [Windows Key] + [F] in combination will launch the app. Inside of there is a log and step recorder. This will provide additional information on what is occurring.

Thank you,

Roy

Hello @ Roy_MacLachlan

1. I mean Desktop icon. Launch app from the start menu update correctly.
2. Yes, i use appinstaller, everythings works fine when i use application from Start Menu. I try to force update from code, but it's thrown same error. The target path is accessible.

Something is wrong with my Microsoft Feedback Hub, infinite loading occurs.