SOLVED

MSIX on Windows 7?

Copper Contributor

Could anyone give an insight on MSIX application install on Windows 7? To brief, If I use MSIX Packaging tool to create an MSIX application on WinX (1909 build), Is there a way I can install this application to Windows 7? If yes, how this can be achieved?

4 Replies
Hi Bogdan, Thank you!

We couldn't able to download MSIX core from the GitHub since there are restrictions to get the .msi files (however other loose files got downloaded). Is there any other link from where I can download the MSIX core?

Hi @Shashank450 

Have you tried cloning the GH repo? You can checkout the repo and build the MSIX core msi locally on your machine, following the instructions from the repo:

https://github.com/Microsoft/msix-packaging/tree/master/MsixCore

best response confirmed by Shashank450 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Shashank450 

Microsoft makes a good case to get a software vendor interested in having a single installer package that can be deployed using MSIX on modern and older operating systems this way.

But when the vendor already has a perfectly good setup program (msi or exe based) that works on Windows 7, I'm not sure they should move to MSIX as a single installer platform, so let me share some alternate thoughts to consider. 

While it might make it easier for the vendor to have one installer, it is adding a burden to the  Win7 consumer, who must first install software before any MSIX package can be installed on their OS.  And in the end, the contents of the MSIX package are laid down the same as the original MSI would have done and none of the customer MSIX benefits of OS and App protection apply. (Note: it could be possible that store based licensing and updating still apply, I'm not sure).

So please be sure to consider all aspects before leaping too far.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Shashank450 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Shashank450 

Microsoft makes a good case to get a software vendor interested in having a single installer package that can be deployed using MSIX on modern and older operating systems this way.

But when the vendor already has a perfectly good setup program (msi or exe based) that works on Windows 7, I'm not sure they should move to MSIX as a single installer platform, so let me share some alternate thoughts to consider. 

While it might make it easier for the vendor to have one installer, it is adding a burden to the  Win7 consumer, who must first install software before any MSIX package can be installed on their OS.  And in the end, the contents of the MSIX package are laid down the same as the original MSI would have done and none of the customer MSIX benefits of OS and App protection apply. (Note: it could be possible that store based licensing and updating still apply, I'm not sure).

So please be sure to consider all aspects before leaping too far.

View solution in original post