Invoke-CommandInDesktopPackage needs a -Wait parameter

MVP

When scripting in PowerShell, I find it necessary to start a process inside a package and wait for it to finish before continuing on.

The Invoke-CommandInDesktopPackage returns immediately with no output upon successful launching of the command.  It would be helpful to have a new -Wait parameter on the cmdlet to request waiting, or to return an object that could be used (such as the new process object) for this purpose.

4 Replies

Hi @TIMOTHY MANGAN,

Thank you for the feedback. I'd like to ask how you would like to use this PowerShell cmdlet:

• It sounds like you may want to wait and force a return from this cmdlet and not just wait with zero returned values. Is that correct?
  • What types of information would you like to retrieve by using this Cmdlet?
  • Can you provide an example of how you'd like to use this cmdlet going forward?

Thank you,

Roy MacLachlan

Waiting is the minimum requirement, but having access to the exit code of the command is desired. My preference is to just wait rather than loop on a handle.  But there might be others that want the full control to monitor and take parallel action I suppose.

The use is a substitution for starting a process. I have found it necessary to use this method to get cmd scripts to run inside of the container and I need this command to complete prior to an additional action. As I don't have control over the contents of the cmd script, I cannot add the additional action there.

Thank you @TIMOTHY MANGAN,

I have created Deliverable 37066629 for this idea.

Hi @TIMOTHY MANGAN,

Please move this item to the Idea's section to enabling others to +1 this idea.