SOLVED

MSIX Set Installation Path

Copper Contributor

How to change the MSIX installation path??

Referred this url - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/msix/desktop/desktop-to-uwp-behind-the-scenes

Always installer package is created in default location C:\Program Files\WindowsApps.

Need to set the installer location to different location.

2 Replies

@Archana2240 thank you for your question. Someone will respond to your question as soon as possible. Our response times are a bit delayed with the holidays.

best response confirmed by Aditi_Narvekar (Microsoft)
Solution

Hi @Archana2240 

The installation path of an MSIX package cannot be changed. All the files you have included in your package are installed inside an app-specific folder under "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps<your app>\".

This is a design decision from Microsoft. Only for MSI/EXE installers you can change the install path.

If you want to add files in other folders too, you need to copy them the first time your application is launched. For that, you have multiple options. You can write your own code inside your application to copy the files in other folders or you can use third-party MSIX packaging tools to help you do it.

To understand more about MSIX and how files outside of the installation path can be managed I recommend this article/presenta... I wrote last month.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Aditi_Narvekar (Microsoft)
Solution

Hi @Archana2240 

The installation path of an MSIX package cannot be changed. All the files you have included in your package are installed inside an app-specific folder under "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps<your app>\".

This is a design decision from Microsoft. Only for MSI/EXE installers you can change the install path.

If you want to add files in other folders too, you need to copy them the first time your application is launched. For that, you have multiple options. You can write your own code inside your application to copy the files in other folders or you can use third-party MSIX packaging tools to help you do it.

To understand more about MSIX and how files outside of the installation path can be managed I recommend this article/presenta... I wrote last month.

View solution in original post