MSIX Office 365 (addins)

Brass Contributor

Hi, sorry for posting a lot of questions. I'm just trying to figure out some stuff that MSIX can do, as we are trying to move away from App-V 5 which is not all that easy.

Next up is Office Addins, from what I understand MSIX doesn't support these, when Office is installed locally, correct? So what is the procedure with Office addins, do I package Office together with the addins? Or should I not use MSIX for addins and just install them locally.

Is MSIX supported with Office 365 anyway?

4 Replies

Hi @martijnk79 Thank you for posting. We currently do not support this scenario. We do not recommend you package Office and its addins as an MSIX. Office is working longer term on adopting MSIX through a phased approach in a way that addresses Enterprise needs without disruption. 

@Dian Hartono Any reason why not.  It would make Office365 mountable in seconds with AppAttach and patch management a breeze :)

Any updates on this? More and more organization now are planning to upgrade to Win 11 and MSIX in the same time. Considering that there are lot of business critical apps that also install an Office addin, this could be a big blocker for them in their journey towards MSIX.
As developers of classic Office addins (because the HTML addins does not provide usefull API) we need ability to package out addins in MSIX.