Is MSIX intended to support install of OS integration items?

Copper Contributor

Is MSIX intended to support install of OS integration items, like CredProv, NetworkProvider, VirtualChannel, shell extensions, property sheet handlers?

Also how about extensions for System Apps through MMC like ADUAC? ie. SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MMC\SnapIns and Software\Microsoft\MMC\NodeTypes

4 Replies

@GDomjan I don't believe any of those are currently supported.

App-V supports shell extensions like property sheet handlers, and since the intention is to eventually replace App-V with MSIX, one would assume that they are on the roadmap.

App-V also lets you place the .msc files and dependencies in the package and create a shortcut that calls mmc.exe inside the container. I don't think MSIX support shortcuts to exes outside of the package yet, however it may be possible to fudge this by having a startup stub that calls the equivalent of the Invoke-CommandInDesktopPackage cmdlet.

For those other items, I would doubt they'd make an appearance any time soon if ever.

Thanks @Dan Gough 

If there are items the Desktop OS supports, yet are not supported by the MSIX installation, is there some suggested alternate packaging that should be used to be more compliant with Windows future requirements. 

Is sticking with MSI and custom actions going to cut it?

@GDomjan Right now, MSI is pretty much your only option (and I'd stay away from 3rd party EXE builders like InnoSetup or NSIS if you can, enterprises like MSIs!). I don't think you have to worry about future support for MSI being taken away in the near future, for that would be commercial suicide.

@GDomjan If there are things not supported by MSIX currently, it seems best to enter the information in the Feedback hub.  I also think it is a good idea to enter it in this venue, as the request is more public and there will be others interested.