SOLVED

Is MSIX a good fit for packaging windows drivers?

Copper Contributor

Hi everyone,

I'm new to MSIX and I wanted to ask, I'm currently using InstallShield to package a number of windows drivers, when I looked at MSIX I only saw examples of packaging apps for the app store, so I wanted to ask:

1. Can MSIX package and install windows drivers as well?

2. Is there a way to import an ism (install shield project) to MSIX packaging tool?

3. What windows versions can run an MSIX installation? (WinvVista/7/8/8.1/2k8/2k8R2/2k12/2k12R2/2k16/2k19)

6 Replies
best response confirmed by John Vintzel (Microsoft)
Solution

Hi @gzaidman,

We don't support packaging drivers in the MSIX Packaging Tool, nor do we support importing ism projects. 

The MSIX Packaging Tool supports converting msi, app-v, scripts, and exe installers to MSIX. 

Here is our documentation on which builds of Windows supports MSIX. 

Best,

Sharla

Program Manager, MSIX

Hi Gzaidman,

While Sharla is correct that MSIX Packaging tool does not natively support ism projects, there may be a workaround!

The packaging tool supports PowerShell scripts.  If you write a simple PowerShell script to invoke your ism based installer, you may be able to use the packaging tool to convert your ism application to MSIX.

Please give it a try and let us know if you run into any problems.

Additionally, approximately how many of your target conversion apps use ism based installers?

Thanks!

James

@Sharla_Akers, since your reply it seems like msix has added support for Windows Services https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/msix/packaging-tool/convert-an-installer-with-services.

Does this mean it also supports kernel drivers? Specifically I am interested to understand if msix  will be a good fit for installing an application that includes a Windows Filtering Platform callout driver, https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/network/introduction-to-windows-filtering-... or if msi should still be used for that use case.

@optaget,

We do now support Windows Services but we do not support drivers still. 

Best,

Sharla 

Hi @James Pike,

I need to install a driver with my application using msix installer, and I want do what you've mentioned. But I cannot find which/how packaging tool can be set to run a script by msix installer. Can you please describe more details or put a link?

thank you

@Reza000,

We do not support installing drivers with MSIX. What James was referring to was the ability to run a powershell script as your installer which may allow you to use an ism project as your installer to convert to MSIX. 

If you are actually interested in how to run a script before/after your MSIX installer runs, you can use the Package Support Framework (PSF) to run those scripts

Best,

Sharla 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by John Vintzel (Microsoft)
Solution

Hi @gzaidman,

We don't support packaging drivers in the MSIX Packaging Tool, nor do we support importing ism projects. 

The MSIX Packaging Tool supports converting msi, app-v, scripts, and exe installers to MSIX. 

Here is our documentation on which builds of Windows supports MSIX. 

Best,

Sharla

Program Manager, MSIX

View solution in original post