SOLVED

Error getting MSIX Packaging Tool Driver

Copper Contributor

I just updated to the insider's release to attempt up use the packaging tool but I get an error acquiring the driver through FOD. It seems to be related to a DISM call it makes to get the feature. I am typing this from home so I don't have the error currently. Any troubleshooting tips anyone can recommend or is that description too ambiguous? I can provide more info in the morning if needed.

10 Replies
best response confirmed by John Vintzel (Microsoft)
Solution

I think Microsoft was listening. I tried again today... I'm not even sure why I did, I think I just like clicking the button. Anyways it worked ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So just try 13 times over 2 days if this happens to you haha

Great to hear.  The errors are usually a mismatch of the insider settings.  It could be related to GA of Windows 10 1809 allowed you to get the driver without a specialized config.

John Vintzel. Program Manager Lead - MSIX

@jvintzel 

there is not a more specific answer? i have the same error since the last update of October windows

I was kind of joking but what I actually did was run updates and reboot until it went away. I also think there may have been an issue with the driver installer download on their end but I can't prove it. Under the covers it seems to be calling old fashion DISM and that was erroring out. 

If you go to Settings > System > About what is the OS build version?

The driver is a FOD (Feature on Demand) and we do leverage DISM to install those.  Do you recall what OS Build this occured  on?  If it happens again can you file an item via Feedback Hub for us to investigate?

Thank you very much. I have solved it. alparecer had conflict with my internet

@John Vintzel   given that the driver is required to use the MSIX packaging tool, why would it be install on demand?  I am having this exact same problem and I am on a deadline.  I am trying to find the driver even though the MSIX Packaging Tool is installed on my computer.   I feel as though my time is being wasted and it should have just installed.

@Robin_Trent Thank you for the feedback.  The driver is a feature on demand to minimize the footprint of Windows for the majority of users that do not require the file.  We do provide a quick create vm that has everything ready to go to make it easier.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/msix/packaging-tool/quick-create-vm

Hi @Robin_Trent,

It might be easier for you to directly install the driver on your machine to ensure that it works. You can find the driver that you need here.

Best,

Sharla

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by John Vintzel (Microsoft)
Solution

I think Microsoft was listening. I tried again today... I'm not even sure why I did, I think I just like clicking the button. Anyways it worked ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So just try 13 times over 2 days if this happens to you haha

View solution in original post