SOLVED

Auto-update an app package with a Windows service

Brass Contributor

Hi,

Using the MSIX latest packaging tool, I managed to convert our Win32 installer, which contains a Windows service, into an app package. We'd like to take advantage of the app installer functionality to automatically update this app package. So far, when I tried to install the app package from our Azure website, it returns 'unknown error'. So I can't debug anymore. I use a very simple app installer file.

A few months ago, I was able to handle the auto update with our Azure website on a different Win32 application containing a background process.
So, is it possible to auto update an app package which contains a Windows service using the app installer feature?

Thanks

Adel.

7 Replies
best response confirmed by adelkeita (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Hi @adelkeita 

Installing a package with a Windows service using the App Installer file is supported.  Restarting your machine may fix the error. To help us investigate the issue, can you please make a Feedback Hub submission in the Developer Platform > App Deployment category, while reproducing the error.  And then can you please post the link to your Feedback Hub submission on here when you're done.

Thanks,
Tanaka

Hi Tanaka,
Thank you very much for your quick answer.
I'll let you know next week when it's done.
Cheers.

P.S: Last year, I learned a lot watching your video tutorials ;)

Hi @Tanaka_Jimha 

Can you please help me solve this issue?

Here's the Feedback hub as requested: http://aka.ms/AAaeifp

I have attached a video of the issue, the app package file and more.

I don't know what's wrong with my Azure config.

Thank you.

Hi @adelkeita 

Thanks for filing the feedback. I'm forwarding it to our devs to look into the issue. Did a machine restart not change anything for you?

Glad to hear the video tutorials were helpful :)

Cheers,

Tanaka

Hi @Tanaka_Jimha 

Two days ago I was still having the issue after restarting my PC.

Yesterday I tried many things... I did restart my workstation, I have reset the Feedback hub (had some issues), I've done all of the updates in the Store,  I made some changes in the Azure App Service configuration settings (changed from ASP to .NET Core, 64-bit with Web sockets).

Then after restarting my workstation, and modifying the "UpdateSettings" part of the app installer file, I managed to make it work with this configuration:

<UpdateSettings>
     <OnLaunch HoursBetweenUpdateChecks="0" ShowPrompt="false" UpdateBlocksActivation="false"/>
</UpdateSettings>

We would like to always update this app package silently without any user input.

I noticed that I'm getting error 0x80D05011, if I do this:

<UpdateSettings>
     <OnLaunch HoursBetweenUpdateChecks="0"/>
  </UpdateSettings>

And I get error 0xC00CEE01:

error 0xC00CEE01: The XML in the .appinstaller file is not valid ... Reason: Unexpected end of input. (0xc00cee01)

if I do this:

<UpdateSettings>
     <OnLaunch HoursBetweenUpdateChecks="0" ShowPrompt="false" UpdateBlocksActivation="false"/>
     <ForceUpdateFromAnyVersion>true</ForceUpdateFromAnyVersion>
  </UpdateSettings>

or this:

<UpdateSettings>
     <AutomaticBackgroundTask />
  </UpdateSettings>

I don't know why I can't use these 2 attributes "ForceUpdateFromAnyVersion" and "AutomaticBackgroundTask".

Would it be possible to get "ForceUpdateFromAnyVersion" to work?

Thanks.

Hi Tanaka!

I've just realized that after restarting my PC, the element "ForceUpdateFromAnyVersion" works fine now.

Thank you very much for the support!

Cheers,

Adel.

Glad that fixed it for you @adelkeita!

Cheers,

Tanaka 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by adelkeita (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Hi @adelkeita 

Installing a package with a Windows service using the App Installer file is supported.  Restarting your machine may fix the error. To help us investigate the issue, can you please make a Feedback Hub submission in the Developer Platform > App Deployment category, while reproducing the error.  And then can you please post the link to your Feedback Hub submission on here when you're done.

Thanks,
Tanaka

View solution in original post