Sharing the ideas and feature requests put forth during the packaging workshop.
First idea relates to enabling of Process Isolation as an optional feature for enterprise for a limited period and phase out the same once MSIX adaptation grows widely.
- Consider a scenario where in the organization would like to upgrade to version 2.0 of an application Sample_app for a new feature it introduced; However, a modification package Sample_mod of version 1.0 is not compatible with latest version of the application
- It will be very helpful to have Process Isolation enabled for the version 2.0 of Sample_app for a limited period of time until there is an upgraded version 2.0 of the modification package Sample_mod is made available with all fixes
- This would enable execution of two executables (Processes) with same name (but different version)
Second idea, which is also a request, is to introduce capability to run Post-Install script.
- There could be scenarios such as – an application INI file contains Localhost address which is dynamically written at the time of application deployment
- Understanding the purpose of MSIX, which is to eliminate the necessity to have custom actions, scenarios such as above turn out to be challenging without installation time actions
- Having Post-Install script execution supported in MSIX will ease its adaptation for minority of applications as well which required such customizations
Last idea is more of a wish list item.
- For the Packaging engineers, it will be a much helpful part if an optional Debug Shortcut (preferably a Command Prompt shortcut) option be provided (by default within the tool)
- Engineers can use this option to debug and identify cause for issues using ProcMon, RegMon etc.
- Once the Fix is developed, build the Final MSIX packaging with Fix by unselecting the Debug Shortcut option and release the Final build for end users
Will look forward for your response and support.