Specific update scenario

Brass Contributor

We have put the automatic updates in place using the Appinstaller file.

Now we would like to customize the updates as below:

• MSIX sends a message that a new release is available for download
  • UX interface describes
  1. New release available
  2. Download and Install Now

Or

Postpone installation until : pick a time / date + clear message Not later than xx/xx/xx when download/installation will be performed automatically forcing our application to close (please plan your update at your best convenience)

After expiration of the time allocated, a new pop-up window is displayed with possibility to postpone again and show message xx days remaining before automatic update.

Can you please tell us if this is possible?

Thanks.

5 Replies
Microsoft Verified Best Answer

Hi @adelkeita,

I'd like to get some more information about your question, and the functionality you are interested in.

• When delaying the update, should the user set the number of days or select a date to delay for?
  • If the update is a security fix, should the user still be able to delay the update?
  • How much of the message should be customizable?

For some additional information on configuring Automatic Updates for AppInstaller installed Windows Apps, see the following Tech Community blog:
Handling application updates with App Installer and MSIX in Windows 10 19H1 - Microsoft Tech Communi...

Hi Roy,
Thank you for your response.

When delaying the update, should the user set the number of days or select a date to delay for?
Ideally we'd like to be able to select a date to delay for. But the user will be able to postpone the install for a fixed number of days, e.g 14 days, 30 days.

If the update is a security fix, should the user still be able to delay the update?
Yes, the pratician should be able to have control over the installation of the update.

How much of the message should be customizable?
I think the customization is more about the ability to postpone the update when the user wants.
If the message itself is customizable, that's a good point too.

For the moment, I'll implement this custom update scenario by using the PowerShell command "Add-AppxPackage". We can't use UWP because when integrating the C++/WinRT APIs into our C++/Win32/wxWidgets based application, I had a lot of compilation errors.
Using the PowerShell command should solve the problem (hope so!).

Hi @adelkeita,

Please let me know if the PowerShell cmdlet was able to help you meet some, or all of your needs.

Have you looked into the use of Microsoft's Endpoint Configuration Manager (formally System Center Configuration Manager) for delivery of updated Windows Apps to your client devices? The following link describes allowing users to delay App deployments beyond a required time:

Deploy applications - Configuration Manager | Microsoft Docs

If the above doesn't meet your requirements, I'd recommend creating a new entry in the Idea's section of the MSIX Tech Community. As a team we review the entries and their voting status to prioritize what will be implemented next.

I hope that I was able to help you.

Roy

Hi Roy,

Thank you for your answer.
Yes, the PowerShell cmdelts do the job perfectly.
I use "Get-AppxPackage" and "Add-AppxPackage" in my c++ code and I can implement the custom update scenario.

Cheers,

Adel.
Hi @Roy_MacLachlan,

We've successfully implemented a custom update scenario using the PowerShell command "Add-AppxPackage" and an MSIX app package uploaded on an Azure website.

Do you think we could achieve the same behavior using the same app package but being uploaded on the MS Store?
E.g delaying the update per user and forcing the update manually via Add-AppxPackage

Thanks.