Shortcut to IE with plugin

MVP

I package up Fiddler in MSIX, and as part of that create a shortcut to Iexplore.exe so that I have a way to launch IE in the container with the IE plugin.

Upon installing the package, I get both the normal fiddler exe shortcut and a second IE shortcut.  The fiddler shortcut is fine, however clicking on the IE shortcut causes nothing to happen.

I'm attaching the package.

5 Replies

Hi, 

Thank you for your post. I unpacked the packages your provided and looked in the manifest. I noticed that for the IE shortcut it points to this: 

<Application EntryPoint="Windows.FullTrustApplication" Executable="VFS\ProgramFilesX86\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" Id="IEXPLORE"> 

When I looked at the VFS\ProgramFileX86 I did not see a folder "Internet Explorer". This is why it is doing nothing. Was this packaged using our packing tool? If so, please file feedback so we can take a look at what is going on. 

Thanks again! 

Dian 

Hi Timothy, Did you find solution to this issue? I am also looking for a solution to launch IE/Edge from the MSIX package container.
No. While I could fix the package to attempt to launch the native iexplore.exe, it just wasn't going to work well in the container. Now that IE is EOL, I don't care. As per Edge (and Edge in IE mode), I'm preferring to wait for Microsoft to MSIX edge at this point. I am assuming they will. Java seems to be the motivating reason for many asking me about it.
Hi Timothy, Thanks for responding. So, does that mean that currently if we want to launch any browser from the MSIX container we cannot? My basic need is to launch the any browser within the container so that it can be launched along with application add-in. Earlier in app-v, we used vb-script to launch the same using /appvve command-let
No. Firefox has a MSIX package you can get from the Microsoft Store. Because their software was built to run on multiple platforms, it was probably easier for them to make the changes to get their software working.