SOLVED

MSIX: Modification Package Layering still a problem in 18317

MVP

I used 1.2019.110 to package and build 18317 to test. Confirmed the modification package has the "rescap6" syntax for modification packages.  Still doesn't work.

Situation summary:

• Main app has a "plugins" folder with 3 dlls.
  • Modification package has same plugins folder with one NEW dll.
  • No local folders matching where the application was "installed"
  • App doesn't see the new plugin on 18317, only the original 3.

I created a feedback item with the same title as the subject on this post.  Attached both packages and a procmon trace showing it didn't enumerate the plugins folder of the modification package.

5 Replies

Thank you for sending feedback. We are taking a look at the issue now. We will update the thread when we have an update. 

best response confirmed by John Vintzel (Microsoft)
Solution

Hi, we looked at your package and noticed the MaxVersionTested is set to value that is early version of Windows.

Change this,
<TargetDeviceFamily Name="Windows.Desktop" MinVersion="10.0.17701.0" MaxVersionTested="10.0.17763.0" />
to this,
<TargetDeviceFamily Name="Windows.Desktop" MinVersion="10.0.17701.0" MaxVersionTested="10.0.18317.1" />
It works.

Uh, OK if that resolves it. The package wasn't generated on 18317, but with a version of the MPT that supports generating the correct syntax (if we ignore MaxVersionTested for a moment).  I can live with that now that I know to use the full features of MPT 1.2019.1 I need to package on 18317 or above also. 

But why should "MaxVersionTested" prevent fixes in the VFS layering runtime from being used?  Surely we won't have to repackage to get the use of fixes in the runtime going forward?

This also fixed the problem for me as well.  But I repackaged my Modification package with the new tool on an insider machine with build 18323. But even there I had to manually change the number. It would have been great if the Packaging Tool would have done that for me.

Great feedback.  We are working on an update and should have it for the April release (which will align more to the 1903 OS changes).

John.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by John Vintzel (Microsoft)
Solution

Hi, we looked at your package and noticed the MaxVersionTested is set to value that is early version of Windows.

Change this,
<TargetDeviceFamily Name="Windows.Desktop" MinVersion="10.0.17701.0" MaxVersionTested="10.0.17763.0" />
to this,
<TargetDeviceFamily Name="Windows.Desktop" MinVersion="10.0.17701.0" MaxVersionTested="10.0.18317.1" />
It works.

View solution in original post