App does not launch immediately after installation but after a 40 mins delay it launches again

Copper Contributor

Hi,

This is a really strange issue and I can't figure out the root cause.

We have a WPF app that gets packaged into MSIX using Azure pipelines. A self signed certificate is using for signing the package which is created by me. If I push my code to the repo and trigger the pipeline, the MSIX artifact installs and launches without any issues for every software developer in our team but if someone else pushes code to the repo, the MSIX artifact would install but not launch for them for approximately 35-40 minutes after installation and then magically start launching after.

This only happens to the developers (except me the publisher of the certificate) who have access to the source code and can trigger the pipeline by updating the repo. We have distributed the MSIX installer to end users numerous times and no one has had any issues launching the app after installation.

Has anyone experienced this?

Best,

Mo

7 Replies

Hi @Mo_Velayati 

Is the delay in launching the app happening only after the first installation/deployment from the CI/CD pipeline or does it take place for all launches other users try to make after the app is initially installed?

Cheers,

Tanaka

@Tanaka_Jimha 

Hi Tanaka,

This happens every time someone except me (Author of the self-signed cert) pushes code and therefore triggers the pipelines.

Best,

Mo

Hi @Mo_Velayati,

Does your CI/CD pipeline also install the app on users' machines, and how does it do so? Or is the installation driven by the end user. I'm trying to understand the specific scenario in which the app launch is delayed.

Thanks,

Tanaka  

@Tanaka_Jimha 

We distribute the .msix and the .cert manually. We put the files on a shared drive and end users install it from there.

The interesting thing is that no matter where we install the .msix from, the issue still remains. And it only happens to the Developers who have access to the source code and can trigger the pipelines, not the end users. Even if the developers download the files directly from the pipeline drop location, they still see the issue.

Best,

Mo

@Mo_Velayati 

Are you able to file a feedback item on the affect devices so we can get more information to investigate?  Meanwhile you can also look for more information in the event logs.

Event Viewer (Local) > Applications and Services Logs > Microsoft > Windows > AppXDeployment-Server > Microsoft-Windows-AppXDeploymentServer/Operational

John Vintzel (@jvintzel)
PM Lead, MSIX

Yes, this happens to me 100% of the time.
I can reproduce it just by switching the version in the .appinstaller file.
Note that the app actually launches immediately, but it stays as a Background task (visible in Task manager only).
@Lars_Pedersen and @Mo_Velayati : try to fill the issue via FeedbackHub in Windows and post the link here, we'll upvote it. I already filed an issue on another problem with MSIX https://aka.ms/AAetpms