WMR Controller tracking

Copper Contributor

Hello -
My family saved our $$ and decided to back HP/Microsoft with the purchase of a Reverb G2. We are big fan of the visual clarity, but are pretty frustrated with the controls. To be frank, they are almost unusable in some applications. I see many people on various internet forums who feel the same way who desperately want to enjoy and support WMR and this platform.
From pop ins, system confusion resulting in loss of tracking, seeing my hands fly away if I have them by my side for a second or two, it's clear that this system could greatly benefit from a software update. 
Not to name names, but while competitor inside-out tracking headsets are met with the same challenges, it is clear that creative software solutions can greatly improve the experience. 

I and many others are ready to get on the WMR platform. @Pernille-Eskebo - can you help us?

• VR
2 Replies

@BinaryBandit out of curiosity, are you using rechargeable or non rechargeable batteries for the controllers?

We have two older WMR headsets and were using rechargeables which simply aren't powerful enough for the controllers. So we ran into quite a few issues. After getting the proper batteries, it all went away.

Do keep in mind that the camera's need to be able to see the controllers, so if you move it too far out you will run into some issues as well.

Hope this helps a little at least!

@AlexandraPetty 
Hi Alexandra - Thank you for this. All great suggestions.

Yes, I bought some really good rechargeable Lithium Ion battery's. If you are familiar with these, they are better at holding a constant 1.5v all the way through without the dip to 1.2 like other rechargeables. They have been great for this.
Coming from the rift, the tracking volume that goes with inside out tracking is certainly something that I am becoming more used to. I have retrainied myself to keep your hands in front at all times but unfortunately in some apps this is just not practical - Ex. in an app like BigS, where I don't need my hands all the time I may put my controllers down beside me, after a minute or two, my hands will just start flying around my FOV, often settling right in front of my head blocking the screen. "Just stay where I put you!"
Sometimes the system will just get confused and I have to stop whatever Im doing, going to a HUD and almost recalibrate the controllers, moving slowly in most plain line of site just to get them to snap back. This can sometimes take 30seconds to a minute. I know all about lighting conditions and am an avid reader of the forums on improving experience. Why visible light LED's were used here kind of baffles me but whatever. I really believe that this system - already known for it's great visuals could be even better and more widely adopted if we could just get some love on the WMR tracking software.

Is anyone @Pernille-Eskebo out there listening? Any hope you can share with me and the other hopeful supporters?