Mixed Reality origins

Deleted
Not applicable

Perhaps I might've missed it, but where did mixed reality really start from?

4 Replies

On the virtual reality side of the MR spectrum, if Wikipedia is accurate, a computer scientist named Ivan Sutherland (along with a team of students at Havard) invented the first VR headset. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivan_Sutherland

On the augmented reality side? Louis Rosenburg created the first AR solution for the U.S. air force in the early 90's. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_B._Rosenberg

It's interesting to know how long it's been around and how far we've come! Thanks for sharing this! @Deleted 

I got my start in VR with the Oculus DK1 back in 2012, but I didn't get serious about VR dev until the GearVR in 2015. My first professional VR experience started with the Vive, shortly before that launched to the public! It has been pretty exciting to be part of the current wave of MR tech, it definitely feels like it's here to stay :)

It's wild to know how much effort has been put into MR before this as well! Back when I was looking for a University (2006-2007?), I visited UNC Chapel Hill, and got a chance to try out their VR setup. It was an impressive device suspended from the ceiling, and I got to try a really well implemented and memorable implementation of the plank experience! I occasionally see research from early wave MR, and it's always a great reminder that plenty of people have already explored and researched this space quite a while ago.

When I transitioned into being a UX Designer, I was coming across topics on AR and VR. However, it wasn't until I saw a video about these topics and how it would change the way we would work in the UX field. That's how I started getting into this because it most likely will be changing everything and I was realizing that now would be a good time to learn about it!

After I learned about XR, I was trying to understand when did all of it really start? Eventually, I saw popular AR apps and games being introduced. Since I saw these in the form of entertainment, I was wondering if we can use it for other uses and behold we are doing that so far! What really sold me was seeing the HoloLens 2 demonstration and that was cool! I'm still learning, but it is a pretty cool field!@koujaku