Hololens emulator resets when shut down

Copper Contributor
I need help to keep save data on the hololens emulator so it is actually useable in my project
9 Replies

@Caink360 Could you go into some additional detail about this? What are you trying to do, and what's getting in your way?

Ok so, after 1st time setup, it works normally. But when i shut down the emulator. It goes back to 1st time setup. I don't know how to save in the emulator
I'm using hololens 2 emulator

@Caink360 I asked the team about the emulator, and I got some more specific details!

No state is saved when you close the emulator. Every start of the emulator is a fresh boot - the main OS disk is never modified. That said, if you need something to persist across a restart of the OS for testing purposes, you can use Device Portal's "power" menu to reboot the OS, which does not close the emulator, so changes remain for the next start of the OS, but once you close the emulator window all changes are lost.
Shame cause i needed to specifically do that for what i planned to do with it

@Caink360 Could you give more details about what you're trying to do, or how your development process specifically is blocked by this behavior? If we know what you're doing, we may be able to provide an alternative solution, or consider your use-case during future development.

Okay, so the idea is to incorporate a diy vive/rift headset into one of those smartphone ar headset, strap a leap motion and kinect to it, and make a bootleg hololens 2 for personal use
And better development tools

@Caink360 I see! Unfortunately, you're right, the HoloLens emulator is unlikely to help you out much here. Getting data from a Leap Motion and Kinect won't really work this way yet either.

However, it does sound like you could be interested in the Project North Star community! There's a lot of lovely people over there, and they've got a great Discord channel. They're pretty familiar with custom AR headsets, handtracking and depth sensors, and might be able to point you in a slightly better direction for what you're trying to do!

Actually, the idea was to use the kinect and kinect for windows to scan a room and save it as an xef file and load it into the emulator, then the leap motion would emulator the mixed reality controllers when the screen and an arduino with a 6dof sensor and led tracker are used in hmd mode, it would recreate a hololens