Hololens 2 FileOpenPicker: no access to Documents folder

Copper Contributor

We're developing a B2B Hololens 2 application (in Unity, with MRTK).

As data input for our app we load in .csv files which contain configuration settings, these are different every time the app is used.
We're able to use FileOpenPicker to bring up the Hololens File Explorer in the app to select the .csv file we need.

However, when the file is in the Documents or Downloads folder access to read them is denied - but when we put them in the Pictures folder (and declare access through the Appxmanifest > Capabilities > Pictures Library) we can read and write the files just fine.

Is there a way to allow access to the Documents and/or Downloads folder as well?

3 Replies
File access on UWP has always been a tricky topic for me as well! This is the document I typically reference when trying to work through issues like this:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/files/file-access-permissions

It goes through some of the cases of when you can access which file, and the necessary permissions that go with it. See if there's anything in there that'll help you out! I can see a few things that sound like they could be of interest.

@koujaku Thanks for the link (and the quick reply), hadn't come across this one yet. We'll give it another go!

@ronouweland Did you happen to figure this out? I have been having trouble and would love to utilize it!