3DExperience to Hololens 1 workflow

Copper Contributor

Hey there,
does anyone use 3DExperience and can explain me his workflow? Everytime I export a model from 3DExperience, convert it to fbx using Maya or Blender (while considering all the hardcaps regarding vertices etc) and then copying it to my Hololens 1, it always tells me "Sorry this model is not optimized for Windows Mixed Reality.

Would be awesome if someone could help me! If any information is missing please tell me.

Best regards

2 Replies

@MoeJoeWhat version of 3DEXPERIENCE are we talking about here? Is it Cloud or On-Premises? What are you exporting a 3DEXPERIENCE CATIA model or another CAD format? What is your ultimate goal?

Bottom line, your maya or blender application created an .fbx file that likely has two many polygons - all CAD programs output beautiful geometry that has too many polygons for the HoloLens 3D viewer program to handle. As a trivial experiment, export out of 3D experience a simply cube, then export as fbx - this may very well open in 3D viewer, but then again, its just a cube? The windows 10 DESKTOP version of 3D viewer will allow you to open most any .fbx and, more importantly, it gives you an option as to how many polygons it is comprised of...try this with a few of your .fbx files that were sourced from 3D experience - you are going to be surprised at how many polygons even a "simple" model is comprised of.

You should contact 3DExperience support and explain to them what you are seeking to do...there may be another product they sell that will meet your need. As a solidworks user who is familiar with the dassault product line, it seems that dassault has decided to "deemphasize" if not abandon ARVR products, at least for the moment...or they are in "stealth" mode prior to unleasing a product for ARVR