Wunderlist Comment Feature Needed in MS To Do - Please respond

Brass Contributor

The Comment feature is an absolute necessity for tracking 'who/when'.   The date/time stamp element this feature includes is crucial for accountability, whether working solo or on a team.  

When I first started using Wunderlist, I thought having both a Notes feature and a Comment feature might prove redundant; however I very quickly found a critical use for both.   "Notes" is a great place to keep key information front and center and to add larger blocks of text -- assisting with cut and paste tasks, as an example. But without the Comment feature, MS To Do will fall far short of the Wunderlist product from whence it came. 

We have been advised that Wunderlist will be gone in May 2020. So a fair question, requiring a simple answer from Microsoft is: Will the Comment feature be a part of MS To Do before Wunderlist is no longer available?  Please respond. Thanks~

19 Replies

I'll add to that, if I may, that on Wunderlist it was possible to add a few comments, while on MS To Do - it's one long comment. a bit confusing.

Unless I'm wrong...

At the moment To Do only has "Notes" not "Comments". Wunderlist has BOTH. They are used differently. I believe there is no limit to the number of comments you can create in a task/to do in Wunderlist. moreover each comment indicates both who wrote the comment and when. Comments are easily deleted when appropriate. I agree that "Notes" provides no more than a basic text field -- but there is value in that as well, as I mentioned earlier in the conversation -- information in "Notes" can be kept front and center and it allows for cut and pasting of large blocks of text. Nevertheless, for some purposes, the tracking detail found in the Comment feature is critical. I am hoping Microsoft will stay committed to providing all the great features of Wunderlist and the "Comment" feature is certainly one of them.

@BJBrock Sorry! 

You're right! I did mix the two together :facepalm:

And I do agree with everything said.

At the moment To Do only has "Notes" not "Comments". Wunderlist has BOTH. They are used differently. I believe there is no limit to the number of comments you can create in a task/to do in Wunderlist. moreover each comment indicates both who wrote the comment and when. Comments are easily deleted when appropriate. I agree that "Notes" provides no more than a basic text field -- but there is value in that as well, as I mentioned earlier in the conversation -- information in "Notes" can be kept front and center and it allows for cut and pasting of large blocks of text. Nevertheless, for some purposes, the tracking detail found in the Comment feature is critical. I am hoping Microsoft will stay committed to providing all the great features of Wunderlist and the "Comment" feature is certainly one of them.

I completely agree, this feature is a must.  If there are no plans to add it I will need to find a different option in a hurry.  I have over 30 people in my company using this feature in Wunderlist on a daily basis.  

I also need this very important, especially the time stamp on the comments, I tried exporting wunderlist and go to a different alternative, but the time stamp doesn't come up on the comments in the downloaded file, so basically wunderlist has left us hanging in this aspect...

@alowecowboy 

if you find an alternative and a way to import the old comments with their time stamp plz advise us

@office1370   Like many others, I have been so comfortable with Wunderlist that every other task management system I have explored falls short.  Some are unnecessarily complex and others lack essential features.  From my perspective, MS To Do is only missing that comment/time stamp feature -- but that feature is critical.  For months there were promises that To Do would be the same or better than Wunderlist -- so I had not been actively looking for a Wunderlist replacement.  Very disappointing. Without comments and the time stamp capability, To Do is a weak and unsatisfactory attempt to replicate Wunderlist.  I would still appreciate a simple answer from MS (or anyone who might know) -- about the comment/time-stamp feature.  In the meantime, as requested, I will advise if I find something else -- please do the same. Thanks~

@office1370 Like many others, I have been so comfortable with Wunderlist that every other task management system I have explored falls short.  Some are unnecessarily complex and others lack essential features.  From my perspective, MS To Do is only missing that comment/time stamp feature -- but that feature is critical.  For months there were promises that To Do would be the same or better than Wunderlist -- so I had not been actively looking for a Wunderlist replacement.  Very disappointing. Without comments and the time stamp capability, To Do is a weak and unsatisfactory attempt to replicate Wunderlist.  I would still appreciate a simple answer from MS (or anyone who might know) -- about the comment/time-stamp feature.  In the meantime, as requested, I will advise if I find something else -- please do the same. Thanks~

@BJBrock 

sadly the only answer i got from to do was

"Comments are not available in Microsoft To Do as of now. However, this is a great idea and we'll consider adding it in a future update.  

In the meantime, we encourage you to post your ideas for future features on Microsoft To Do's UserVoice forum: https://todo.uservoice.com/forums/597175-feature-suggestions

We base our choices for future features on what people request most frequently, so feel free to vote and comment on any other features you'd like us to add.

Thank you for your patience as we work on this and many other improvements to Microsoft To Do!"....which I don't have...and my business can't afford me to have...

no solid answer and I was looking around for support on wunderlist " if they have any way of exporting it and neither didn't get an answer

@office1370 Hey, there's no current way to export the timestamp, unfortunately. An option would be to screengrab the old discussions and them as a file to the task, which we understand is not the ideal solution you're looking for. 

We're recommending everyone votes for comments here - https://todo.uservoice.com/forums/597175-feature-suggestions/suggestions/18981844-add-comments-chat-.... We didn't move it over from Wunderlist as an original feature as it wasn't a feature that was heavily used in Wunderlist. We understand that the people who do use it love it and miss it, however. This is why we are encouraging everyone to vote for it so we get more of an idea of the demand for it. 

That was one of the features I loved about Wunderlist. Especially if you are in a shared list, for example, you assign a task to someone and need some feedback... He cannot delete the comment made by someone else. As with notes: you can change or delete any details in the box... Please bring it back... :folded_hands::folded_hands::folded_hands:
Anybody found a better app than to do yet where you can add comments? I really thought that overtime they would add this vital feature, clearly they are not going to do I want to ditch it
I moved to Zinkit To Do and it has the feature! I did a Google search for similar apps to Wunderlist and an article I found had a number of them profiled. I am very disappointed in Microsoft, they ruined Wunderlist.

Hi Shelley, im using "todoist", it has so much better features than MStodo and wunderlist ... you wont be dissapointed https://todoist.com/   @Shelley2150 

I second this. Having a way to go in an have a timestamped update is key to keeping a good history on tasks/projects. Even if MS could roll out a simple comment feature where only I could comment on my own tasks, that would make to-do much better and more in line with why I loved Wunderlist.

Comments shouldn't be a hard feature to implement. MS has done it before. I'm using a comment feature right now to post this. PLEASE roll this out!

A comment history is important for business use. One example, I have a task to train users to install and use Microsoft To Do. There are 25 users to train and this is a background task that I will only spend 30 minutes a day on. Obviously this task changes over time and I need to remember where I'm at in the task, if a user needs more training, if any issue came up (never happens, right). So a comment is necessary (scale the number to as many users as needed to make the point for yourself or lengthen the time). The point is many tasks take time and to be able to multi-task I need timestamped comments to be able to perform.

Now imagine I have a team of people and I have to assign them small tasks. But I want them to tell me where they are with each task each week and we'll update. Need comments. Just changing the Note will lose the history after one edit. You can't manage effectively without history.

Make the To Do list more useful by incorporating the comments feature (just like this page has).
Also, make it rich text. When updating on a phone don't stop me from using the camera. A picture is worth 1,000 words. It's software, make it as useful as possible.

@BJBrock 

Apparently no one gives a crap at Microsoft... they PROMISED we would get all the features in Wunderlist and then some... but we are still waiting. 1. We can't rearrange the steps (subtasks) like we could in Wunderlist, or at least sort finished ones to the bottom. 2. We can't add comments like we could in Wunderlist (notes is a nice addition but it's not a replacement by any means.) 3. We have no control over the printout... fonts, color, etc. 4. When we search, the search doesn't recognize list names and when they run off the screen it would be nice to have them show in search results. 5. We can't change the fonts in the navigation menu, not sure if Wunderlist did that or not. Well maybe Superlist.com from the wunderlist founder will be available soon and we can switch to that.