SOLVED

Why STILL no multiple account support on iOS or Mac?

Iron Contributor

All multi-platform Office apps (i.e., not Access) allow multiple account integration, except To-Do. It's been requested and voted for since the beginning on UserVoice, to no avail. Microsoft has enabled multiple accounts in To-Do for Windows and Android, but not iOS and Mac, although multiple account integration on those platforms works flawlessly with other Office apps. This makes To-Do useless for anyone with busy lives both at home and at work.

17 Replies
LOL the way MS is handling ToDo requests (it doesn't) is the primary reason I am considering replacing my W10 laptop with a MacBook once the time to upgrade comes. While Apple is even worse than MS when it comes to user requests, at least their services work extremely well across their devices. Since I am already forced to keep my personal tasks in Apple Reminders so that I could share them with other family members and get notifications while I am signed into my work Todo account, might as well take the next step. I love the idea of MS services, but the implementation is often just... not all there.

@Joseph Nierenberg I'm an Android + Mac user and use To-Do for both work and personal.

On Android obviously it works out of the box. For Mac what I do is install the To-Do app and login with my work account. Then for my personal account, I install Fluid (https://fluidapp.com/), with URL (https://to-do.live.com/tasks/), and Name (My-Do).

Works like a charm with them both acting as separate mac apps

same as just logging in to the second account through a browser, isn't it?
best response confirmed by Joseph Nierenberg (Iron Contributor)
Solution

@Joseph Nierenberg 

you are able to share a private list with a work account. That way you can get private lists in your work account to-to on iOS. 

It’s not perfect, but it allows me to have my “private” list and a “family” list that’s also shared with my wife.

@stamik Having your personal tasks shared to work account is a very bad practice, and a professional company like Microsoft should not be promoting this.

This is a pain point that you can't switch between To Do personal and business accounts, without logging in and out each time. I ended up using another cross platform app like Todoist for my personal lists and to do for my business account but would really prefer to use one app. Come on Microsoft, there are so many business users that use ios that it makes no sense you have not enabled this functionality.
Todoist is superior to ToDo in every way as it is.
I would not even consider ToDo anymore had it not been dictated by work.
Pretty much everything MS touch is half-baked.
Using natural language input does not remove text that's been converted to date and time.
Adding a reminder is not tied to the due date by default or in the quick pick menu.
Planner and Todo overlap by some extent but only partially, which means you have to use both tools at the same. Tasks in teams adds a little integration but is still not a complete solution for all of MS task apps.
You can add task categories in Todo for Outlook or Web but you can't do anything with them - sort, filter etc. You can't have them in Todo app for Windows or iOS. You can have them in Planner but you can't use it for Todo tasks. You can use Planner and Todo in Tasks for Teams but you can't see categories.
You can add text formatting to notes on iOS but not in Windows app, so any formatting you add is deleted if you edit the note in Windows.
It feels like they have teams of summer interns working on their task apps and nobody's talking to one another, and no product management is being done.
Pathetic.

Do we think this will ever be updated

crazy that this is still an issue today... (especially since it works on Windows and Android)

@Joseph Nierenberg I can see and work with To Do tasks from both home and work accounts on the iPhone Reminders app. 

@T-A-King many users, including me, are unable to add Outlook work accounts on the iPhone due to company restrictions. We are locked to Microsoft Outlook and To do app.

I found the following from the app feedback portal posted 1 year ago: Microsoft To Do · Community

Official Microsoft response:
Support for multiple accounts is currently available in Android and Windows. For iOS and Mac OS this feature request is in our backlog.

iOS has overtaken Android in North America, why this isn't more of a priority is beyond me. How hard could this be to develop/implement?

This is also a very good suggestion from the portal:

As noted, this is sort-of available on Windows, but it requires SWITCHING between accounts to see the lists only on one account OR the other, no way to see all current To Do's at the same time. Please provide at least a consolidated My Day that lists all items from My Day in each active account. It defeats the point of an at-a-glance To Do Llist when we can't see information across all lists simultaneously (like the calendar in Outlook shows a single view for all calendars across multiple tenants).

Found a workaround for me that may work for others. 

I created separate todo lists for personal and work tasks in my personal account,  which I access on my iPhone.  I then shared the work to-do list with my work account by using the invite to a list function. I now seem to be able to manage and synch my My work list items from either my iPhone or the ToDo tab in my work Office 365 desktop app, without having to change the login on either. 

In theory, I should be able create lists in my work account and share them my personal account on my iPhone, but my company doesn't allow ToDo lists to be shared outside the organization. 

Not an ideal solution, but seems workable for me. 
Is there any status on this at all? I really want to only use one to do software with the ability to manage my personal and work tasks separately, but still no option on ios. What is the barrier for Microsoft to do this? I use a personal pc laptop separate from my work laptop, using an iphone for this setup is still a problem. So many companies use iphones as their default devices for cellular communication. It seems like a no brainer. Still having to use Todoist for my personal task manager because of this.

@James_Meade 

Any news about release date here?

+1 for this feature

@DJBor it seems I cannot share a list with any address outside of your organization?

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Joseph Nierenberg (Iron Contributor)
Solution

@Joseph Nierenberg 

you are able to share a private list with a work account. That way you can get private lists in your work account to-to on iOS. 

It’s not perfect, but it allows me to have my “private” list and a “family” list that’s also shared with my wife.

View solution in original post