To Do very slow in online mode

Copper Contributor

I'm using MS To Do over multiple devices.

I use the online app a lot, where I cluster my own tasks and the tasks that are assigned to me.

Multiple times a day To Do is not responding, and after a while a pop up basically tells me "The pages are not responding" and asks if I want to wait or close tha pages.

This is ultra irritating. The app on my Ipad or Iphone works faster and better but in many cases it's more handy to work with the online tool since you're working on a computer anyhow.

Is anyone else experiencing this too? I have attachted the pop up I see at least 5 times a day (in Dutch, sorry)

16 Replies

@mleijzer 

I was a WunderList user and now To Do.  I have a lot of lists that I access on different Apple devices.

I keep being struck by how slow the app on my MacBook is.

For example, to click on a task to show it completed.  Wait, wait, wait.  20 seconds is not uncommon.

To add an item to my grocery list.  Wait, wait, wait.

What do you suppose is up with that?  It doesn't seem nearly as slow on my iPhone app.

@geriler To Do works well with the app for me too. Absolutely no problem with my Iphone or Ipad.

But working on google chrome within our terminal server it's just hell on earth.

20 seconds is not uncommon, but so is 1 minute or more.

Can't believe a year later this is still an issue. This software is so simple.

@JohnMWait yeah it's strange since I so often see the message that there is a new version available. 

Slow as all hell for me as well....

@mleijzer 

@Paul21520 

This i a constant issue for me as well. To Do is just extremely slow at time

Same for me, unusably slow.

May 2022 and still insanely laggy in web browser, iOS and with the new Outlook app. Any chance of making this usable? The performance is laughable right now

I am experiencing very slow (unusable) performance using the web app.

I have found that I have thousands of previously flagged emails that are now completed flagged email to-do items.

You can see how many to-do tasks you have in the database by using Edge/Chrome developer tools (F12) then going to the Application tab and then under storage on the left expanding IndexedDB to find the tasks table in the application database. You can see the total number of tasks at the bottom of the screen.

I have a ticket open with the Microsoft To-Do team.

@Benj_H okay thanks, keep us posted! I don't use flagged emails but I guess there are a lot of finished tasks in mij database.

To me this doesn't explain why To Do is so slow in online mode.

I posted this almost 2 years ago. I can see TD has had a lot of updates since then but I keep getting "pages are not responding", or something similar.

By the way, my alternative way of working is using tasks within Teams. It works faster but has one major disadvantage: what I do a lot is send emails to tasks (not flagging, but actually turning them into a task and delete them from my mail). These emails are then to be found as an attachement in the To Do task, but Teams unfortunately doesn't show the attachment. It's annoying that there's not just one solution that gives me all te info.
Microsoft suggested turning off flagged emails in To-do setting and then turning back on again (if required). This clears the flagged-email To-do item list. You need to reflag (or change the flag) on items you want to add back to To-do.
My thousands of To-do items reduced to a few hundred and performance is back. Issue solved for me.

@mleijzer same here. Except it’s painfully slow and often crashes in every channel, iPhone or iPad app, or PC browser. I’ve logged tickets and worked with their support staff to no avail. 

This has been so frustrating that I switched to a tool that is very lacking in features but is pretty quick and reliable (Keep). I still need to access To Do as I have a lot of history/notes there and no easy way to export. 

It is absolutely astonishing and frustrating that MS has yet “to do” anything about this. 

@mleijzer Same issue for me, and now we have 2023 on the yard :(

I've found a solution for slow To-Do. I've had a list of tasks for a long time with over 5.000 tasks (95% complete) and I've noticed that it slowed down the app on my computer.
So I created a new list with 0 completed tasks and moved the uncompleted tasks to this new list. Bam...the app is fast again.
That is why Microsoft told one of the users here to clean the flags of the e-mail. Many flags equals to many tasks on To-Do. If you have more than 5.000 tasks (or less, I don't know the specific number), chances are you are gonna have lag on the windows app.
It sounds like Microsoft never expects people to actually use this product then?