To-Do not syncing with Outlook

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I'm a bit simple when it comes to tech, but whilst To-Do syncs with the Outlook Web App, it doesn't sync with normal Outlook Tasks on my laptop.

To-Do syncs fine between my laptop and my phone, but obviously doesn't have any of the Outlook Tasks in there as they aren't syncing with To-Do.

Same sign in (Office 365) on all.

Is it something I'm not doing (as I said, I'm a bit simple) or can it not sync?

Thanks to anyone who can advise.

23 Replies

@robfromworcs I have exactly the same problem. It would be great if someone could explain to me/us what I'm/we're doing wrong. Cheers.

@robfromworcs I have a simliar issue as well.  It seems my PC sends updates to the mobile app.  But the mobile app updates I make are not synced with my PC.

@robfromworcs have you found a fix for this?

Some of my previously entered activities from Outlook have synced with To Do. And anything I enter into To Do sync to Outlook.

But some of my past Outlook activities have not synced and will not sync even if I re-open and re-save them. And new tasks entered into Outlook do not seem to be syncing.

@robfromworcs I too have this issue.  Searched the Internet for a resolution.  Didn't find any.  Saddened that no one from Microsoft has weighed in here.  THought that's what these user forums were about.

@adpii - I actually did figure out what the problem is with this...

I had some Quick Steps I was using to create tasks. For some reason, tasks created that way were not syncing. You can identify them as having a slightly different icon. Unfortunately there was no fix, but I was able to manually re-created all of them and delete the originals from Outlook.

Here is a picture showing the icon next to "This isn't in To Do".

C5luck_0-1587997844958.png

@PoweredByLUCK THnaks but doesn't help

I am having the same issue.@robfromworcs 

I have all accounts synced and from one note to outlook, tasks are working perfectly

I then installed ToDo through the google store so that tasks would show on my s20plus

I then installed ToDo through the microsoft store on my windows 10 freshly updated machine.

Cannot get anything to sync.

Nothing old or new will show up in ToDo

If i add a task on ToDo, it syncs to the app on my laptop.

If i add a task through outlook, no love

if i add a task through onenote, no love

There are no disabled add-ins and I cannot see any add-ins for ToDo in the com-addin section

@microsoft 

@jpq55 

A couple of possible solutions...

Are you sure you're logged into the same Microsoft 365 account in Outlook and in To Do? I have a personal and a work account. You can add an account (or change it) in the settings for To Do. 

Setup integration: Make sure the settings in To Do (click the drop-down next to your name in the top-left and select Settings), under the Connected Apps area are set to allow:

* Planner

* Flagged email

The only other problem I can think of is - are you creating Outlook tasks in the normal manner? When I add tasks using the Outlook bar, they always sync with To Do. But when I create a rule that creates tasks (such as converting an email to a task) for some reason, those items don't sync.

Hope some of that is helpful.

@PoweredByLUCK 

Are you sure you're logged into the same Microsoft 365 account in Outlook and in To Do? I have a personal and a work account. You can add an account (or change it) in the settings for To Do. 

Can confirm accounts are the same

Setup integration: Make sure the settings in To Do (click the drop-down next to your name in the top-left and select Settings), under the Connected Apps area are set to allow:

* Planner

* Flagged email

I do not have an "integration area"

The only other problem I can think of is - are you creating Outlook tasks in the normal manner? When I add tasks using the Outlook bar, they always sync with To Do. But when I create a rule that creates tasks (such as converting an email to a task) for some reason, those items don't sync.

It does not matter how i create the task.

I can create a task through one note, outlook and todo.
No matter what combination i use, cannot get it to sync up.

I can make a task on ToDo and only see it synced to TODO on my desktop or phone. 

Does Microsoft ever look at these forums?

I am also having this issue. Im using a wirk ohone with some security software installed. Could that be blicking the sync ?

I found this on their support site... which pretty much says that it won't sync unless using a microsoft domain so any work accounts won't sync... 

Why isn’t my account syncing with Outlook 2016 on Windows?

At the moment, only personal Microsoft accounts using an Outlook.com domain are able to sync between Microsoft To Do and Outlook 2016. If your personal Microsoft account uses a domain such as @outlook.com, @hotmail.com, @live.com or @msn.com, then your tasks should sync automatically between Microsoft To Do and Outlook 2016 on Windows. 

However, if you’re using a personal Microsoft account registered to a different domain, like @gmail.com or @yahoo.com, your to-dos won’t sync automatically. In order to sync your tasks between Microsoft To Do and Outlook 2016, you’ll need to a create a new alias for your account by registering a new outlook.com email address.  To create a new alias, just do the following:
  • Head to https://account.live.com/names/Manage and log in to your personal Microsoft account.
  • Under Account alias(es), select Add email.
  • Make sure the option to Create a new email address and add it as an alias is selected and enter a new @outlook.com address.
  • Select Add alias.
  • Once the new alias has been added to your account, just select the option to Make primary

Now that your new @outlook.com address is the primary alias for your account, you’ll need to update your Microsoft account within Outlook 2016:

• First, remove your initial Microsoft account.
  • Then add your new @outlook.com email address as an Office 365 account to Outlook 2016 by heading to File>Add Account.
  • Enter your new @outlook.com email address and then select Connect.
  • Alternatively, you may need to enter your name, email address and password and then select Next.
  • If prompted, enter your password and then select OK.
  • Then just select Finish.

Your tasks should then sync between Microsoft To Do and Outlook 2016 automatically.   

@robfromworcs 

@robfromworcs 

I am having (what I think is) a similar problem.

I started by migrating from Wunderlist to To Do...It went well.  Originally, my Wunderlist was under my Gmail account.  To Do now has the same primary email as my Outlook 365.

If I use Outlook.com (Web based version) I can see everything, including the To Do.

If I use Outlook (desktop) on either a desktop or notebook, the To Do lists are not there.

I am able to access the Stand alone App on my computer(s) and on my phone (Samsung S10+) and everything syncs fine as does the Web version of Outlook...it is just the Desktop version of Outlook that has an issue...it is as though there is a missing Add-in or something?

Appreciate your reply. As you can see, it's a year later and the issue still exists. I don't use QuickSteps so, while I'm happy it seems to have solved the issue for you, it hasn't for me. <sad face>
Paul,

I figure out my issue. I have several email accounts in outlook desktop, my primary MS account one and a few smtp/pop accounts. Tasks will only sync from my MS account email. Don't know if that helps?

@Phigam01  I am having the same issue on new Mac Mini with MS O365 To Do app, logged in to same O365 account as all the other devices. Sync just isn't working on desktop. No error messages, just not displaying the same information in the lists. And I only have ONE email account using the Outlook desktop products on my Mac.

... and per earlier post from a year ago, would be great if Microsoft would chime in here. Thanks.

@robfromworcs 

I was having a similar issue. What I discovered is that only emails flagged on the inbox folder (server) will appear in To-Do. If you have a local folder for your inbox, then the emails won't get flagged in To-Do. 

Thankyou @PoweredByLUCK 

I realised both accounts were showing tasks all mixed together. When I cleaned this up it now looks the same as my desktop did earlier :)

Solved fingers crossed. 

I have a similar problem with the Mac-App "Reminders": Old items are synced, I can see it in the web client (owa), but not in my desktop client (outlook). New items are synced fine to both: owa and outlook.

Even when I change an old item, it will not show up in the desktop application (outlook).

I found kind of a "solution": When I update the priority of an item it will be synced to the desktop outlook, too. So I went through every task ;-( and updated the prio to e.g. low, waitetd for sync and then changed it back to what it was.

Maybe this helps?