Tips for To Do - share yours here

Bronze Contributor

I think many of us have a love hate relationship with To Do. It has great features yet big gaps on basic things. The Product Owner or Microsoft team seem to rarely if ever come to this forum. I don't know why MSFT is so bad at fostering relationships with people that use and advocate for their products.

Having said that we can help each other out and post Tips and Tricks here.

6 Replies

Differences in Platforms

Be aware that To Do on different platforms have different versions.

• For example, I was simplifying my List structure and wanted to combine a few lists. On my Mac, I could multi-select, but when I dragged only 1 task moved! On the Web, I could multi-select but there was no dragging. But, after multi-select I could Right Click and select the Move Tasks command which does not exist on Mac
  • Natural language recognition in tasks - in Windows and iOS, i think that is it?
  • In Outlook on the Web, you can bring up the To Do sidebar and drag To Do's onto your calendar to Time Block them. I don't think you can do this on other platforms

So if you are stuck with something, do try the other platforms

Reddit group for ToDo

There is a subreddit for Microsoft To Do, great place to learn and ask questions

(3) Microsoft To-Do (reddit.com)

Using Tags as a search tool

If you click on a tag (hashtag) it will do a search on that tag (or obviously you can just use the search). As a shortcut, I have a standing task like this:

Check in on #Alice #Bob #Jaime #ProjectA #projectB #OtherKeyTags

This helps remind me to check in but also if I am talking to that person I can click on the tag and get related. Now do I use tags 100% on all my tasks.... No, but this does help

not being able to copy tasks to other lists in the desk top app - can only move them (have to use web)

@Rob O'Keefe The strange cross over to teams - you can see everything apart from who the task is assigned to!

not being able to customise the colours of team members 'dots' in to do. we have 3 red that is just tricky to distinguish at a quick glance.