The new look Microsoft To Do

Microsoft

To Do across all your devices.To Do across all your devices.We have a brand new look! 
Take a look here to find out more about our new design - https://aka.ms/m365blog/newtodo.

Some other features to note:

• The rich entry bar is now available in our Windows app, so you can add details as you create a new task.
  • Dark mode has come to Mac, it'll be available in iOS soon.
  • You can now drag steps out of tasks to make them into tasks on iOS. You can also drag and select a number of tasks and drag them to a new list. 

We'd love to get your thoughts on the new look! Talk to us here or over on Twitter - https://twitter.com/MicrosoftToDo

11 Replies

@Polly DavidsonNice touch that the wallpaper setting syncs across devices! Are there plans to allow users to upload their own photos? While the Berlin TV tower may be nostalgic for Wunderlist users, some of us might like to use more personally relevant wallpapers. :smiling_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Looks nice, but we still can't share lists between two organizations.
A new look is pretty irrelevant for all the tenants that still can't use To-Do.

@Polly Davidson Not liking this. This is a Wunderlist copycat, and I never really liked Wunderlist. The colour and picture backgrounds make the tasks look like bricks, and the whole aesthetic is convoluted, juvenile, and rather unprofessional. I much prefer the previous design that looked like a notebook with some visual flair at the top; it was also much more in line with other Microsof products (e.g. Microsoft Office). Please bring it back, or allow us to configure options in the app so that it looks like it used to be. Thanks for listening.

@John_Greek wrote:

@Polly Davidson Not liking this. This is a Wunderlist copycat, and I never really liked Wunderlist. The colour and picture backgrounds make the tasks look like bricks, and the whole aesthetic is convoluted, juvenile, and rather unprofessional. I much prefer the previous design that looked like a notebook with some visual flair at the top; it was also much more in line with other Microsof products (e.g. Microsoft Office). ...

Wow, I feel just the opposite. I like the new look a lot and loved Wunderlist. This new theme closes the final gap for me and I suspect it will make a lot of former Wunderlist users happy. Now that all my most-wanted features have been added, themes are the icing on the cake.

I don't miss the previous look at all. Still, if there are enough people who feel like @John_Greek, I hope MS will add "classic look" as an option. 

@Polly Davidson, I love the new look (see my reply to @John_Greek) and rich entry bar. One thing that would make themes even nicer for me is for colors and images to behave in dark theme as they currently do in light theme. Specifically, I wish the entire background of the task pane would change even when dark mode is active. Is TechCommunity a good place to leave this kind of feedback?

I realize this could result in lighter backgrounds such as pastel colors making task pane no longer truly dark. This issue could be resolved by adding additional dark colors including the current default dark theme plus a couple other colors I'm hoping will be added, such as steel blue and metal blue. Finally, add a "Use default background color when Dark theme is active" option for users who prefer the current theme behavior. I think users would be smart enough to choose wisely for their own personal preference.

@Polly Davidson I love the new look... until my Mac is upgraded to Catalina. Now To-Do crashes very frequently! I can be scrolling within a list or within the to-do item itself, and it would crash. The crashes are random but pretty frequent. Have you heard this from other users?

@Mike Glenn Sorry for the delay Mike. I'll pass the feedback on to the team. The photos do stay in dark mode but, you're right, for the colors you just get the fonts changing color. 

@Andre Siregar Hey, we've seen some reports around pasting links in notes. Do you see that issue too? If you can send the crash reports that would be great. 

@Polly Davidson one of my crashes that can be reproduced is when I open a to-do item which has a link to a OneNote page. As you may know, such OneNote link is very long when pasted to To-Do.

Okay - I will send a report when I experience the crash again.

How do I turn off dark mode for the To do app. I have dark mode enabled on my Mac, but I want To do in normal mode. I don't want everything dark. Skype can do this.