Microsoft To Do: Problems with the Bell Sound

Copper Contributor

I love this app. It's easy to use and the sound it makes when I complete a task is amazing.

My sounds have recently stopped working however and I am very disappointed. No matter how many times I turn them on and off in the preferences there is no change in the app.

Does anyone have any recommendations? The number one reason I use this app is because of the sounds it makes. I use it with an iMac (my os is Catalina) in case this can help.

20 Replies
Consider yourself lucky. I am trying to find a way to permanently mute this bell sound, which seems to be an impossible task.
I’d like to eliminate the sound too.

@oliviabrownthe completion sound can be enabled and disabled in the Settings.  To access Settings (in the mobile and desktop versions), from the main (top-level) screen, select your name in the upper left corner and select Settings. Once in the Settings screen, you can enable or disable "Play completion sound".  Hope this helps.

Thanks! I wasn't even aware of the settings as the app design gave me the impression that my name only was a confirmation of me being logged into the Microsoft ecosystem without it actually being a clickable button.

@Talisphere My name isn't in the upper left, so I'm having trouble finding the settings location you mentioned. My photo and initials are in the upper right. Are you accessing settings from the app or the web? I'm accessing from the web.

@Talisphere I have tried this. The problem is that even with this Settings option it does not sound. Everything else in the computer sounds (Chrome, iMovie, Quicktime videos), all except ToDo...

@rtakayamaI am using the mobile application on Android and the PC desktop version.  I wasn't aware that there even was a Web version.  I see in the Web version, your name does not appear in the upper left corner.  In the Web application, you click the Gears icon (above Sort), and disable "Play Completion Sound"

@Talisphere Thank you, that did it! Appreciate you sharing.

Sorry, not sure what the issue is. If "Play completion sound" is enabled in the To Do app, then it isn't a problem with the app. I know that it works good on my Fiancée's iPhone 12 Pro. Maybe there is a way to enable notifications or sounds by application in the iOS general settings?
Did you ever solve this? Mine stopped working too
I restarted the app a few times and it started working again.

Same issue here, Mac OS Monterey 12.4

Completion sound was working and then stopped working for no reason.

App setting and system notification settings do not change this behaviour. Odd

@oliviabrown On my Macbook, I discovered that in addition to having "Play Completion Sound" checked in To Do Preferences, I also needed to check "Play user interface sound effects" in Mac OS's Sound->Sound Effects settings.

cugms....TY...This solved my issue using Mac/Monterey 12.6
Meh - on or off - How about letting me PICK the sound? That tiny little bell is barely audible over the blaring Deutche Schlager I listen to constantly.
I've noticed that the bell sound rings sometimes when I'm not even on the app. I'm using the online version in Chrome on a Win10 PC. The first few times it happened I spent several minutes looking for a task that accidentally got completed...it's weird.
I registered just so that I could like this comment!
Thank you SO MUCH!

>>> To clarify, "SETTINGS" in the To Do app itself is where these adjustments can be made. NOT from the main Windows 11 Settings options.

@Talisphere Hello, is there an option to set an alert / alarm? For example I want one hour prior the meeting I set in ToDo, to hear an alarm, like the a.clock alarm in the morning :-). 

Thanks in advance

Anton